Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Maybe this will help someone that is wondering what it costs to fly one of these things... ;)

I was entering some fuel receipts into Quicken this evening, and noticed that it was exactly 10 months ago today that I flew the Valkyrie for the first time. In those ten months, I have put 216 (fantastic!) hours on the plane, as recorded by my EFIS - actual clock hours, in other words.

I ran a quick report, and was amazed that in that same time, my fuel expenses have totaled right at $4,990 - let' say an even $5,000. I started Phase 1 just as fuel prices began to skyrocket- I was filling up at about $2.20/gallon at the start, and the lowest I've found recently is at a little municipal field in Liberty,TX - $3.30/gallon.

Bottom line? My fuel costs per hour are roughly $23/hour - I never try to add up hanagr, maintenance, and other costs....once you decide to own an airplane, those are just costs of living.... like food, or clothing.... :cool:

$500 of fuel and 21 flight hours a month....and one of those months, she was in the paint shop!

Paul

$5/gallon this morning

I refueled at Jet Corp at the Spirit of St. Louis airport this morning for $5 per gallon. Last year I refueled at Hobbs, NM on the way to the Land of Enchantment fly-in and the cost was $5.19. I suspect it will get worse. My local self serve fuel cost at Drake Field in Fayetteville, Arkansas is $3.71 - which is looking pretty good. Fly fast - it may not last!

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bob Axsom said:
I refueled at Jet Corp at the Spirit of St. Louis airport this morning for $5 per gallon. Last year I refueled at Hobbs, NM on the way to the Land of Enchantment fly-in and the cost was $5.19. ...
Bob Axsom

Bob, big mistake. Hobbs is one of those high fuel cost, no flight training, no airplane for rent, FBO's. In that area, Andrews or Lovington is the place. Never ever Hobbs, Roswell or Carlsbad.

Fayetteville

Bob, we stopped in to fayetteville on the way to LOE last year for a fuel and rest stop. You got a really nice airport there, the controllers were very friendly and helpful and while fueling we had a nice discussion with a local who flies a Pitts, I believe, and he was talking about some of the RVs there. We were real pleased with that airport! Hope to get back there again!