Chadmeyer24

I know this has been talked about many times but I'm having an issue with one of my fuel caps. The seals are good and I have tried tightening the nut and loosing it. Every combination seems to not work. What is happening is the cap will rotate loosely in the hole and in flight will actually raise up around 1/8in acting like it wants to pop out.
What are my options?
Thinking about just ordering a new cap from vans as they are only $28.
My other question is is there any better fuel caps out there with a better design? I'm just not found of the Vans caps... and off course I'm talking caps that will retrofit without redoing the filler neck!

Loosen the nut.
The big inner flange will tighten up. Give it about half a turn.
Retighten the nut.
Give it a test fit.

Might have to repeat.

It is not the nut that makes the adjustment, it is the inner cylinder.

Like AltonD says. The two halves of the cap rotate with respect to each other for adjustment. The nut is just a locking device.

Here are is a picture of my fuel cap taken apart
I see no adjustments besides the nut? Kind of confused here?

imagejpg1_zps668d110d.jpg

The early caps were adjusted with the nut only (no threads in the lower plate) and then some years ago they were changed where the bottom plate was threaded with the nut being the lock nut only. Also the earlier ones had black o rings which were not interchangeable with later brown o ring style. Not sure if the o ring color change happened at the same time as the threaded bottom plate change but believe it did. Larry

Thanks Larry
That clears things up for me!

Anyone know of any fuel caps out they're besides the factory ones before I order 2 new factory ones?

Thanks Larry
That clears things up for me!

Anyone know of any fuel caps out they're besides the factory ones before I order 2 new factory ones?

We replaced the factory ones. Van sells these. Have installed several sets and everyone seems to like them. It?s harder to see the fuel when refueling and are a smaller neck. Twice price but I just did not like constantly fiddling with the standard ones and love these. They glue into the original with pro seal. There is a set installed in a 6 at KMCW I?m sure you could look at. Larry

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1423955637-206-759&browse=misc&product=retro-cap