chrisbryanolsen

Well Known Member
Patron
It really bugs me that my fat fingers can not fit in the tiny hole to lift the levers on the fuel caps.
So I worked up a design in my CAD system and cut this new lever prototype.
Anybody think of any problems with this? It is also a VG ;-)

If anyone is interested I can put up the CAD files and G-Code.

IMG_20120703_104330.jpg

IMG_20120703_111831.jpg

IMG_20120703_111752.jpg

IMG_20120703_111712.jpg

Chris Olsen
RV-4 N2ZK @ KAEG
2012 Dues Paid

Last edited:
Looks pretty draggy...

Yikes, looks like 2 knots of drag and quite a bit of spoiled air headed towards the inboard edge of the aileron... not sure how this impacts the stability of the control surface at high speed but it might have an impact on flutter margins...

Okay Chris, I'll say it. GOOD JOB! I know you put a lot of effort in this mod and no doubt are proud of the finished product. Homebuilders creating solutions keeps our sport interesting. Although these caps can be made to easily operate, I do appreciate your skill.

Okay Chris, I'll say it. GOOD JOB! I know you put a lot of effort in this mod and no doubt are proud of the finished product. Homebuilders creating solutions keeps our sport interesting. Although these caps can be made to easily operate, I do appreciate your skill.

Pretty cool, been many times when the o-ring dried out on a hot ramp that I would have appreciated this cap mod.

Clever!

Friend gave me a 2" long, 1/2 " wide aluminum bottle cap opener (I think it says "Miller Beer" on it). Perfect for the fuel caps, and small and light enough that I keep it on the aircraft key ring.

Bonus: I know the mags are turned off when I'm refueling because I have to have all the keys with me to open the gas cap.

A bit big, I will admit

Thanks for the feedback guys, next version out of the mill will have a bit smaller dome.
Will also try out the mod rocketBob suggested.

Chris Olsen
RV-4 N2ZK @ KAEG
2012 Dues Paid

When I took delivery of my 6A, it came with one of those little tools you use to repair golf ball dents on the green attached to the key ring. Works perfectly, and has the added benefit of ensuring your mags are off and keys are out of the ignition before you climb out to refuel:)