airman

Just purchased an RV6A and i have to park it outside until i can get a hanger. I would like to cover the fuel caps to keep the water out of the tanks if the caps leak. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated or do you know a supplier that makes a cover that will stay on.

Thanks

Stick on sun shade.

You can sometimes find those temporary 'sun shades' that you slap up on the windshield at auto parts stores. It's not sticky, just a piece of clouded vinyl. The ones I have seen are about 10" by 12", which would work pretty nice. That might work...easy try for $5 or less.

b,
d

caps

Coat them good with fuel lube too. If it keeps them from Leaking fuel out, it should keep water from getting in too.
Congrats on your purchase.

Bob Martin said:
Coat them good with fuel lube too. If it keeps them from Leaking fuel out, it should keep water from getting in too.
Congrats on your purchase.

Use caution here - if you use fuel lube (called EZ Turn now) you will have a lot of trouble getting the caps off in the winter (temps below 30 or 20F).

The O-rings will do their job and seal it IF friction doesn't overwhelm them. EZ Turn will cause a lot of problems in the cold. I suggest lubing the orings and mechanism with Tri-Flow. I've tried a lot of things, and that has worked best. You may have to readjust the caps after applying it, because it will seem that the mechanism works too easily.

Lubriplate works great for me. Just coat the o-ring. Caps are easy off, easy on and seal great. Re-coat them once/year at annual condition inspection.

The blue 3M masking tape might work as well as anything. If you aren't familiar, it is designed to be removable after a long time without leaving residue. I don't know how it would weather, though.

Rain Proof

I just had to leave my plane outside at Breakaway Airpark in Austin, TX. for 3 days last week during all the flooding in Texas. Just as a precaution I used zip lock bags and electrical tape an got a great seal. No water in the tanks upon sumping at all. I had a small bottle of GOO remover in case any residue was left and had to use just a drop or two. I am going to buy 3M white electrical tape to keep in the plane for future use and maybe put a small rag or paper tower over the cap to stop condensation under the baggie.
What I didn't cover good enough even though I had my plugs in the air intakes was the air cleaner, and no I didn't have a weep hole drilled in the bottom of the plentum for the water to drain out. I do now.
I thought about that when it started missing just after start..
lesson learned the hard way.