RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
I am in the process of dealing with brake lines, fuel lines and oil lines. What sealer should I use? Would fuel lube be good for all of them? Thanks for the help!

I don't think fuel lube would be good for any of them. I like permatex #2 for NPT threads and it will work well for all the applications you listed. Use sparingly near the first thread.

Larry

NAPA Indian Head Gasket Shellac

An "old" IAP recommended NAPA Indian Head Gasket Shellac for such fittings. I resisted at first, but when I just couldn't staunch two weeping fittings on the brakes I gave in and tried it. Immediate cessation of the problem. SO, I took all fittings loose and applied the shellac now flying for over a year without any indication of weeps, runs, or errors.
The Shellac is around $5.00 for a bottle. DO NOT use the dauber that comes with the bottle. I use a Q-Tip to apply, works great and requires virtually no clean up.

Permatex #3 or #2 for good for engine/oil, but Loctite 567 for the brakes.

I have some evidence that the Royco 782 brake fluid will dissolve the #2 and #3.

ONLY ON THE NPT THREADS-

only seal the NPT threads for the master cylinders, reservoir, calipers, and the flow transducer if used. NOTHING on the flares or the threads.

Tom

I am in the process of dealing with brake lines, fuel lines and oil lines. What sealer should I use? Would fuel lube be good for all of them? Thanks for the help!

I use Seal Lube for all NPT threads.

From the plans section 5.27.
"Because we cannot always fully tighten tapered thread fittings, and because even after fully tightening the fitting a small spiral leak path remains along the full length of threads, a thread sealant must be used during assembly. Sealants appropriate for use on aircraft NPT fittings are Tite-seal, Permatex #2 and Locktite 565. Do not use RTV, Teflon tape or Fuel Lube on NPT fittings."