jscottpilot

I am on page 35 of the fuselage instructions and it says that it is much easier to fit and make the brake and fuel lines at this point. I discovered that I don't have the hardware necessary to do this. Does vans sell the fuel and brake lines kits separtely or do they come in the finish kit. What have most builders been doing at this point? Can all this stuff be done after the fuselage is finished easily enough?

The basic parts come with the finish kit but there will be extras that you will most likely want to buy, i.e., bulkheads, more hose/tube and some AN fittings.

Installation of Brake and Fuel Lines

I reached that same spot about a month ago. Suggestions: by a 25 or 50 roll of 3/8th and 1/4 tubing. It takes a while to get the hang of bending and flaring. I had a lot of trials and screw ups to get everything just like I wanted it.

Aircraft spruce has a large selection of fittings. I bought spares of the standard nuts and flares as well as some additional right angles. I also modified some of their recommendations and needed a few more fittings for that. If you have a purge return line, then more fittings for that. You also need to get a boost pump and filter (if you are going fuel injection). Lots to think about with the fuel lines.

If you are using standard van's gear, their suggestions for line placement work fine. If using Grove gear, you need to place the brake line exit a slightly different place.

Good luck

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage
San Ramon

Not sure if it was totally clear above, but you get all the plastic and aluminum fuel and brake lines, and the AN brake & fuel fittings, in the fuse kit. The parts you don't get in the fuse kit are the brake hoses that attach to the firewall-mounted bracket. Yes, many of us end up doing a lot of tube-bending R&D ;) and then have to order more alum. tubing, but Vans does send you one full "set".

Terry

I am on page 35 of the fuselage instructions and it says that it is much easier to fit and make the brake and fuel lines at this point. I discovered that I don't have the hardware necessary to do this. Does vans sell the fuel and brake lines kits separtely or do they come in the finish kit. What have most builders been doing at this point? Can all this stuff be done after the fuselage is finished easily enough?
I'm the type of guy who likes to make things as easy on me as possible. It is way, way easier to fit the fuel and brake lines while the forward fuselage is still exposed and access is (relatively) generous rather than later when everything is closed up and you either have to reach inside or lay on your stomach to fit the components. I would much rather fit, tweak, and install such components when things can be accessed while sitting alongside the work on my stool rather than put off what will eventually have to be done anyway and then be far more difficult to accomplish.

I ordered the finish kit (which contains most of the necessary plumbing parts)within a few weeks of receiving the fuselage kit when it became obvious that the kit was going together so quickly, I didn't want to run out of work waiting for another shipping slot. If that is not an option, I still would order the parts needed to complete the plumbing and then delete those parts from the finish kit order. There may be a pricing penalty doing it that way but it would still be worth it to me. YMMV.

It may be worth it to discuss your needs with Van's. They may (or may not) be willing to work with you.