tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
For those of you that had the FSDO do your airworthiness inspection, would you do it again? How long did it take for them to schedule your inspection once you sent in all of the requisite paperwork? Do you feel that the FSDO inspector did an adequate inspection?

It seems most people go the DAR route, and I'm somewhat curious what more people don't go through the FSDO.

Thanks,
Scott
7A

Most people go to DAR because they are much more familiar with amateur-built aircraft. While most FSDO inspectors have good intentions, their job is mainly to make sure the placards, registration number, etc. are correct and that you built the aircraft as required by amateur-built rules.

While DARs do the same thing, they usually inspect the aircraft with more of an eye toward safety.
I have found things that would make an aircraft totally unsafe that most FAA ASIs would never notice. And these things are not because the builder was incompetent. They simply missed the items.

Don't misinterpret this to mean that all ASIs are incompetent. Many are very good inspectors. But are you sure that yours is?

1. No
2. 4 weeks, then another 2 weeks of BS after the inspection.!!!!!
3. No

I went with the FSDO because I was broke. FSDO=free DAR=$500. It all worked out in the end, but I would rather have budgeted the money and a timely professional inspection... not a paper pusher who doesn't know the rules.

I had mine inspected by an FSDO inspector. He checked the paperwork.. and a quick glance at the plane.. Other than a "missing wing" he would not have caught anything else.. nor did he try (other than proper functioning of the pitch trim... ).

Cost: $0

Took two weeks after submitting paperwork. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

I had "real" inspections that were done to catch any safety issues performed by 3 different experienced builders (on 3 different days). Ah yes.. that was free too.. (the EAA chapter thing..)... This routine is pretty common in this area so I didn't exactly invent this :) We also do have a pretty friendly FSDO here.

Nothing against DARs by any stretch.. just pointing out that there are many ways to skin a cat... (and still be safe).

Maybe an anomaly but I had very good experiences with a FSDO inspector from Milwaukee (Mike Batson). Took only a week or so to schedule, and he did a thorough job inspecting the airplane. He's also been very helpful when I needed help later (for example when I installed a different prop). I would certainly recommend him.

I guess the answer depends on the specific FSDO and inspector?

FSDO

I used the FSDO to inspect my plane last September.

They sent two guys and they crawled all over my plane for nearly 2 hours.

Very thorough.

They scoured my engine documents & logs for AD compliance, etc.

They offered lots of good suggestions and required a few things be corrected.

Great guys and the cost - $0

Dave
-9A flying

Cost: $0

Took two weeks after submitting paperwork. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

I had "real" inspections that were done to catch any safety issues performed by 3 different experienced builders (on 3 different days). Ah yes.. that was free too.. (the EAA chapter thing..)... This routine is pretty common in this area so I didn't exactly invent this :) We also do have a pretty friendly FSDO here.

Nothing against DARs by any stretch.. just pointing out that there are many ways to skin a cat... (and still be safe).

This matches my experience. The local FSDO rocks. I had local EAA tech advisors check the plane and the FSDO folks were actually pretty through as well.

OAK FSDO

Had an excellent experience with the Oakland (CA) FSDO.
About a 2 week lead time; The inspector rides a motorcycle and likes to get
out in the field, now and then. He has done a lot of RVs around here. (San Fransisco Bay Area)
I got a very good inspection; he even found 2 items, which were missed by all the local EAA guys.

Also gotta put in a good work for the local FSDO-----Good inspection by the gentleman who came out. He was a helicopter mechanic in a past life, so he was quite thorough in the inspection.

Plus, he likes RV's:D

It took longer than I wanted, but I knew that it was going to when I turned in my paperwork, and was told by the inspector he had a full calendar.

I went FSDO as well, would do it again in a heartbeat. I did talk to Mel and several other DAR's to get a feel for cost and scheduling, but in the end, the local FSDO was good to work with, and felt I did the right thing for me.

Used the local FSDO

About a month from request to inspection. Few days after initial inspection to finished paper.

Two inspectors, mild level of inspection, noted a few recomendations and looked for anything obviously unsafe (controls, general structure etc). Definite emphasis on paperwork. Made it clear that it "was your experiment".

They were good guys with an intrinsic interest in experimental. I'd do it again. I think that it will depend on your local office's interest and attitude towards experimentals. You should be able to ascertain that beforehand with a call, maybe a visit, and asking a round your local airport.

Good luck.

I had a local DAR, as mentioned in an earlier post, he might have noticed if the wings were not attached. I am in the ATL area and was not able to get the FSDO interested, they pointed me back to DAR's. I had 3 EAA visits (inspections) along the process and I feel they did a much better job.

FSDO

I just got my RV-4 signed off by the GSO (Greensboro NC) FSDO on Jan 5th. They were very good at scheduling me, and answering all my questions/reviewing the "paper" prior to the hangar visit. It only took one phone call, and we scheduled a couple weeks out. The visit at the hangar was very professional,and the inspector was quite familiar with experimentals. I had the aircraft opened as he requested to the same level as one doing an annual condition inspection. Took about an hour,and he covered all the points I would as an IA doing any other inspection. He had the phase one and two documents already completed,and the sectional for my "restricted area" highlited out. Was a great day ! I hope to make first flght this week if weather permits. I would highly recomend the FSDO option if they can schedule you in.

Bill E.
Advance NC (8A7)
RV-4 ready for first flight.

I have contacted both Baltimore and Philadelphia FSDO's as I am one mile from Pa. inside Md. and was refused by both. I wanted to go the FSDO route to save money. Both manager's said their guys were just too overworked to do this. Philly also said they did not have the expertise. It looks like I don't get to see my tax dollars at work. 20 years ago I called Balt. to schedule a CFI checkride and they tried to punt that away and I would not stand for it. They reluctantly scheduled me and I passed the first try. I suppose they were too overworked then too.

I have contacted both Baltimore and Philadelphia FSDO's as I am one mile from Pa. inside Md. and was refused by both.

I guess I'll be using a DAR then in a couple years... lol. Dave let me know how things work out since I'm not too far away from you!

Absolutely would go with FSDO

From my first experience in July 1988, with my RV-4, Hillsboro, OR FSDO did a good job for me within a very reasonable time line, then again on an RV-6A, built with a partner in 1993, again same experience. The same experience when I built a -9A in 2003, followed by a RV-7 finished in 2007 and again an RV-12 finished in December 2009.

I can't say enough good things about FAA inspections. First off, they come without additional cost, they have always accommodated me within a very short waiting period, and when they're done, your done. I am aware of other individuals using a DAR for inspections that required a return for incorrect paperwork.

I would use the Oklahoma City FSDO again

I delivered my paperwork to the OKC FSDO in advance. Two inspectors came at the scheduled time. They spent about two hours looking over the airplane. No issues were found requiring correction. Airworthiness and Repairman's certificate issued on the spot.

Our Chapter 24 EAA tech counselor, Gale Braden, had done multiple inspections and given much advice during the build and he was there for the final inspection. He tries to be at the final inspection for each builder. Gale has worked hard at building a rapport with the OKC FSDO and us EAA builders. It has certaintly paid off for us builders.

I used the MKE FSDO to inspect my SeaRey and RV7A. Both inspections were well done and easily arranged. I highly recommend them.

Roberta

All depends on the FISDO. They are all little independent fifedoms and no two operate the same. I have a good friend who works for the Boise FISDO and who has watched me build it really wanted to inspect my Cub but his supervisor would not let him schedule it because they were "too busy". They also "don't have time" to get a new DAR going in the area. Nearest DAR is 200 miles away. Luckily he can usually get 3-4 inspections scheduled per trip so the travel costs can be split up. Don