N941WR

Legacy Member
For those of you who are just starting building, you will trash some parts but don't give up. That is just part of the process. Every new builder goes through the frustration phase. This is when you do something to a part and realize it no longer meets your exacting quality standards.

In the building of N941WR a lot of former beer cans gave up their lives only to find themselves in my dead parts pile, waiting to be recycled back into beer cans.

Last night while cleaning out the 'ol Basement Aircraft Factory I finally piled up all the dead parts and took a picture. Just remember when you damage something; it is not the end of the world. Order a new part from Van's and move on. Besides, as you can see from this picture, you can use those parts to make other things, such as doors to cover your ELT and strobe power pack, if you mount them under your baggage compartment floor.

(click to enlarge)

You have to break a few eggs to make an omlete.

I don't know if this phrase fits, but it's morning and I'm hungry.

I have a pile of pieces parts too, they make great conversation starters when hanger flying.

Last edited:
I'm starting to accumulate a pile as well - way too big for my current point in the kit :eek:

Some of them do serve very nicely as double duty, I've got a spar doubler from the HS that I use as a parts turner/poker during priming...

1001008gs7.jpg

Last edited:
Scrapped parts get a second lease on life

I have found over the years that even scrapped part can be useful.

If a skin is scrapped I make use of the undrilled sections for something. If it has some holes in it I use it as a test part or drill template. I have parts in my RV-7A that were made from scrapped RV-4 skins 20+ years ago. The list goes on and on.

I have a distinguished pile of scrapped parts in my shop as well.

Scrap Parts...

The FIRST!!!,,, rib I cut ,on my RV 6 N46RV in 1995,,, I cut out too much. It was scrap.
I hung it on the shop wall and have tried to learn from that. And remember to measure twice and cut once,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,,, since then,,,,, and sometimes ??,, I still do...,,make the same mistake???????????
I guess I am a slow learner?????? Build on and laugh at the thangs,( thats Texan),,, you mess up. The RV you end up with will overcome any missups you do and put a GRiN on your face...... LETS go fying................................

I don't have much in the way of sheet goods but I do have a nice box full of twisted up tubeing (several pounds). My first 702 canopy skin became a tester. I figured out how to make it fit the frame au sweetly then replaced it.

Take it easy

Nobody is going to care how long it took you after you are done. Think ahead before you drill or cut. When I worked on the production floor of McDonnell Aircraft there were full time laison engineers who did nothing but disposition production errors with standard repairs and nonstandard repairs. Stop drill, debur, add doubler, use larger diameter rivets, etc. I found in building my RV-6A that very few mistakes were made and when they were made there was always a non "scrap and replace" solution to the problem. There is something about making a repair that makes one more sensitive to the need for care and precision in the work ahead. I never got frustrated in building or modifying the plane so far (12 years). It is a once in a lifetime experience for me and it has been great.

Bob Axsom

Last edited: