Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
The front stick was pre-bent when I purchased the kit year's ago. I mounted a Tosten grip on it. They are approx 165 mm long. I tried to cut that much off the steel stick tube, but ran into the top bend action in the stick so I'm about a half inch too long. As a result, the top on the stick will not push under the panel. Does it have to? Thanks, Bill

Yup. it will have to go beyond the panel in order to bottom out the control stop back at the elevator.

In fact, with a Tosten grip on an unbent stick, the trim hat will be directly under the edge of the panel, making it difficult to adjust trim in cruise. Ask me how I know....:rolleyes:

Don & Guy, Does the front stick set at netrual under the panel ? If not, can we not adjust the eye bearings enough to allow full travel prior to smacking into the panel? If not, what are the solutions ? Bill

No...in neutral state, it sits quite a bit aft of the panel. I fly a taildragger -8, so I need a bunch of forward stick to lift the tail on the initial ground roll during takeoff. I have never come close to hitting the panel in flight...I don't like negative g's. Your final inspection will probably involve a test of full control movements to make certain that the control surface stops are stopping the stick, not interference from cockpit obstructions... as far as adjusting the linkage aft, I set mine up so that it ALMOST bottoms out on the front of the seat pan...it hits the seat at the same time that the elevator hits the control stops. Doing it this way reduces the amount that it must pass beyond the instrument panel.

Last edited:
Don & Guy, Does the front stick set at netrual under the panel ? If not, can we not adjust the eye bearings enough to allow full travel prior to smacking into the panel? If not, what are the solutions ? Bill

With a straight grip the stick sits aft of the panel in cruise.

With a forward canted grip and the stock stick, the grip centers under the panel in cruise.

I have no experience with a bent stick, but I imagine that it must pass under the panel at some point in its travel and you are not going to be able to adjust that out. You might push the stick forward of the panel rarely, but you certainly don't want control interference.

I have an extended stick with a mitered z-bend in it. The bend is just below the grip and extends aft about 4 inches. The most upper and fwd edge of the grip will just barely touch a knob on my radio when full forward and swung side to side. Much more natural and comfortable than a straight (short) stick.

I modified my stick by bending it back in a curve about 3 inches. I welded a short vertical section to the stick to hold a Ray Allen grip. Clears the panel just fine and as several have noted, much more comfortable.

Bill,
Per your request earlier... My front control stick is 12 1/4 inches long and the grip just barely fits under the instrument panel. That measurement is from end to end (i.e. not from the pivot point or the center of the bolt hole).

I hope this helps.