Kenny Gene

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I have an XP Superior O-360 with 336 hours since new and my front seal just started leaking engine oil. Anyone who has changed a seal, how is it done and where can I find information before I continue woking on this one.
Thanks for your help.
Kenny Gene

Thanks, this a great start and help. I did purchase a split seal, it was 4x MORE than the regular seal,, go figure.
Are there any pictures or pdf file of "How To" from some manuel?
Thanks again.
Kenny Gene

I have done one on my Superior XP-400SRE. I replaced it with the 1 part seal, not the split seal. I would think the split seal would be easy. No need to stretch it over the crank flange. Probably the only real important things are to be sure the inner surface is 100% cleaned out, and what type of glue you use to install the new seal. I used Plyobond (sp?) Seemed to have worked just fine. I would probably have a metal pick handy. One with a right angle head worked best for me. Just stab the old seal and it comes out pretty easy. Probably why it is leaking.. haha

Good luck!

I just did the front seal on my IO-540 and used the one piece. It was easy to install following the Lycoming method provided in the link above. My understanding is that the split seal is more prone to leak. ?

Thanks guys for helping me out on this one.
I've been in NYC on vacation for the past week (Had an EXCELLENT time!, Westin at Time Square, 2 shows, Lion King and Rock of Ages, Peter Lugars and Central Park!) so now I'm back in Kansas and ready to replace the front seal.
Thanks again for all your help.
Kenny Gene

Front Seal

When I did some work on my original engine in my 6A I had to buy an overhaul gasket set for my O360. The IA that was overseeing my efforts noted that the kit had both types of seals, one piece and split.
This man was the engine guru for Tarrant County Junior College for a long, long time and knew Lycomings like the back of his hand. He picked up the split seal and said "You should throw this away, unless you want another leak up front!"
I took his advice and installed the one piece seal, it never leaked again. It looks pretty weird during installation but it returns to it's original shape and does the job it was designed to do.