Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I did not realize that I needed to trim the front baffle ears. The next image shows what I'm talking about. My front baffles are "finished" I thought. So they are painted and riveted together. When I went to do the baffle material I discovered that I should have trimmed the ears down considerably to make room for the upper ramps.

I put the top cowl on and was able to reach in and trace a line on the ears by putting the pen against the upper ramp and following its curvature. See the picture for the area, scribbled in white that I need to remove.

What I can't figure out is how to transition the ear trimming to the main part of the front baffle. One option would be to cut straight up the bend as is shown by the red line. Another option would be curved line from the cut line in the ear to the top of the front baffle. This is shown by the yellow line.

These baffles have been by far the most difficult part of the build for me. They have taken forever. I'm asking for tips or pictures on this one because I do NOT want to build the front baffles over again.

Here's the picture. Thanks for any tips!

ux9ohRR.jpg

Michael-

Shoot a line along the 3 screw holes to mark the installed height of the baffle. Mark it below your squiggles there. Remove the baffle piece, throw the upper cowl upside down on the table and trim to fit where you can see what's going on. Use the 3 screw holes on the top cowl to fix your alignment.

Oops, hit the button too soon... pics above...

I probably spent more than a month on my baffles.

There didn't seem to be any good way I could visualize to make the "jump" onto the ramps, so I cut them away at the back, and sealed to the top cowling. I just used a felt to mark the front baffle, then progressively cut it down. I made paper templates for the seal material, eventually it came out pretty good. Not yet flying so we'll see if there's any leaks show up...

from 5 years ago

It's been a while I trimmed my baffles Michael. Here are couple pictures for your reference. I went with plenum but trimming was basically the same as for rubber seals.

Baffle2.jpg

Baffle3.jpg

baffle1.jpg

I am at pretty much the same stage you are. All my trimming is complete except for the sides of the center baffle. I have been messing with fitting the fabric and having tons of fun...

I am considering making a plenum insead. I would have to add some material back to the baffle sides since they are already trimmed, but it seems easier to get a good seal with the plenum.

Like Vlad I would just put formed angle along the baffle. If I go that way, I will probably make a penum top from fiberglass.