Bubblehead

Well Known Member
This Saturday an A&P buddy of mine came over and helped me make new fron baffle seals. The old ones looked good but seemed to bed forward instead of back and I thought they might be leaking air out the front. We also redid some of the ones in the back too that appeared to "pooch" a little with the top cowling in place.

Well I guess I was dumping a lot of air! A test flight Saturday afternoon in 95F air temp showed oil temps cooler by 25 degrees! Normally I need to level off about 5500 feet and throttle back to cool things down but this time oil temp and CHTs stayed good all the way to 8500'.

That was the success part. Sunday I pulled the cowl to work on the breather tube. It got turned around a bit when we were working on some wiring and some oil had blown along the bottom of the plane. While taking a good look at the engine and wiping things down I found that my #4 cylinder intake pipe had fractured at the cylinder.

Even though the pipe is 2 years old Aero Sport Power called this afternoon and is shipping a replacement out tomorrow! Great service again!

How did you get rid of those "pooches", or "puckers"?
I am just doing my baffle seals, and can't seem to get rid of them.
Thanks
AL

How did you get rid of those "pooches", or "puckers"?

I would also like to know... I was wondering how to do this the other day. My upper rubber baffle seal by the oil cooler area has bit of a downward pucker.

You can slit the seal front to rear towards the metal baffle on the "peak O the pucker" and it will flatten out. You can overlap the slit & RTV if you wish.