goatflieg

Well Known Member
Friend
I've been curious about something... again. I'd like to hear from builders of completed aircraft: how long was the time elapsed from engine hanging to first engine start on the airframe? I'd imagine there is a pretty wide spectrum of experience on this topic. Please share.

Time

Well there is a lot to do but its not that hard. Here are the factors that will cause time delays:

1. Is the firewall already planned out battery, solenoids, fuel lines, brake reservois, control cables, wires, sensor manifold, etc

2. Are control cables right length (been there)

3. Premade fuel/oil/MP lines? Will need to measure and send in order

4. Baffling :(

5. Cowling fit and baffling seal

If everything goes well I've done it in 3 weeks but a few months is more likely.

I've been curious about something... again. I'd like to hear from builders of completed aircraft: how long was the time elapsed from engine hanging to first engine start on the airframe? I'd imagine there is a pretty wide spectrum of experience on this topic. Please share.

It was 20-years ago (1995) that I hung the engine. First flight was about 2-years later (09-1997). That was before there was a Firewall Forward Kit. One had to design, procure, fabricate, and install everything back then.

I think you will find most "hobby" and first time builders take between a year and two. Mine was about 18 months.
There is a huge variance in build times based on ones personal work and life situation. If you worked it like a job, you might get it done in a couple months. I never had that luxury.
....and then there is always the guy like Steve that makes us all look bad ;)

Longer than I thought...

10 months, so far. Will probably crank it up in 3-6 months.

How do you get the preservative oil out? Manual says to roll the engine from side to side with plugs out, but you would not do this if it was going to be a year before start and you mount the engine.

2+ years for me. Bought a factory new Lycoming late 2008, drained preservative oil and hung right away. First start 2011. Can't stop since then :D

It took me about 14 months, but I had the aircraft all painted and ready to fly before first start. Make sure you have "in motion" insurance on before you crank it up.

6 months till first start. Flying 4 months later.

Had a baby coming...I was in a hurry.