scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
For Showplanes fastback builders: Where did you locate the fresh air vents. I don't have the vents in hand yet, but the sides of the panel area is disappearing fast with the rail-to-panel corner gusset and the forward canopy bulkhead. Got pictures? Maybe another bracket hanging down from the panel or someplace else? Non Showplanes builders may not fully understand the delima.

Scott, I used one large valve up under the panel which does not blow directly on me but dumps a lot of air in the forward cockpit. The rear seat does have a conventional airline ball vent.

If you look close, at least one of RV-8s the Showplanes crew built in-house includes vent outlets cut into the triangular panel braces. They have valves upstream, hidden behind the panel. Nice trick, but the valves they used are leakers and I wanted positive shutoff. The idea just needs better valves.

Scott,
I split the scat tube into two tubes for two eyeballs on my panel. I get a good strong breeze coming through both of them. My panel is simple and cut down in the middle to allow a longer stick (which is bent to clear the gear tower support behind the panel.

AirVents

The hole above my radio houses my AP74. Still plenty of room for expansion/changes if I choose. The vents are from Stein and work and seal very well.

Last edited:
VENTS, RV-8 FAST BACK

I HAVE 2 VENTS IN THE PANEL, FED BY A NACA ON EACH SIDE. LOTS OF AIR NEEDED HERE IN TX. PANEL IS EQUIPT WITH 2 GRT LARGE SCREENS AND MINIMAL SWTS. RV-6/830hrs. DENNIS MCCRIGHT 9364433562