Jennafly

Does anyone know how to handle freezing conditions for the 912 ULS, when the plane has to be left out overnight and it's sub-freezing? Like on a cross-country trip with no pre-heat available?

How well does the antifreeze work?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Jen

Jen, the specific anti-freeze that you used should have the freezing limits on the container. In any case, I think the 912 operating limits are somewhere around -13 to 120 degrees.

Searching for "preheat" finds lots of inexpensive options. this one could be carried with you and just depends on pulling the plane close enough somewhere for an extension cord to reach. Use a couple of feet of metal flex tube instead of the hard duct and simply pinch the end a bit - I'm making one like that. The Reiff headed bands for the oil tank get good reviews also. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=51470

Don't know if this helps or not with a Rotax engine, but the technique is useful in old car engines: If possible, crank the engine over a few times to build oil pressure BEFORE turning on the ignition! This gets lube to the bearings and cam surfaces before any real load is put on them.

I used a sump mounted Reiff type heater on my Cherokee for years - it worked really well, especially with a blanket over the cowl and the cooling ducts plugged. In the winter I would leave it on 24/7 with no adverse effects.

Another thing to remember is that it is a bad idea to put the engine through heating/cooling cycles when it is not running. This draws moisture laden air into the engine which "may" condense. If you do not keep the heater on 24/7, then only heat it prior to starting the engine - and run the engine at operating temps for a good half hour to drive out any condensation!