DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...that FlightPrep can't touch....

If you are regular visitor to the free www.FltPlan.com site you already know about this, but if not I thought I would grab some partial screen shots from their ‘Approach Charts’ section to show you. You can use this to do some rudimentary online flight planning – of course you can log in and do a full-blown flight plan with multiple legs, but you don't have to.

When I want to look at online sectionals I just go to FltPlan.com and click on ‘Approach Charts’ (I have that page bookmarked in my favorites). Then in the lower left corner of the screen where it says ‘Sectionals with TFRs and Weather’ I put in identifiers that are close to my home airport for the start and stop points (52F and KLUD usually). You will be presented with a large online sectional, which if you have a large monitor, can be maximized with great results. It will also display radar on top of the sectional if you check that box.

Screen capture: http://i55.tinypic.com/2nsarz4.jpg

Some more partial screen captures from the ‘Approach Charts’ of www.FltPlan.com:

208vbyv.jpg

A pic of it full screen on my monitor...
9rhr3p.jpg

And FlightPrep apparently can't touch them….

December 16, 2010
For Immediate Release:
Flight Plan, LLC (FltPlan.com) announced today that it is not affected by FlightPrep's U.S. Patent No. 7,640,098.
FlightPrep recently contacted FltPlan.com concerning the patent which is directed to "A Process for Generating Travel Plans on the Internet." In the letter, Chairman Roger Stenbock suggested that FltPlan.com enter into a confidentiality agreement to exchange confidential information.

After review of the patent, FltPlan.com does not believe it is relevant to the FltPlan.com website so confidential or other discussions with FlightPrep are not warranted. FltPlan.com has asked FlightPrep if it alleges the FltPlan.com website infringes the patent but FlightPrep has not responded.

"FlightPrep's patent does not apply, nor is it relevant to the FltPlan.com website," stated FltPlan.com's President Ken Wilson. "Since FltPlan.com does not use FlightPrep's patented technology, we have not been, nor will we be in negotiations with FlightPrep."
With over 100,000 users, FltPlan.com has been providing free online flight planning since 1999 which is two years prior to the filing of FlightPrep patent application which matured into U.S. Patent No. 7,640,098.

Just FYI,
DR

Last edited:
Thanks DR
I will use this information.
I'm still having withdrawals from losing Navmonster and Runway Finder.

Marry Christmas & Happy New Years

G.P.

WOW!
I just paid Airguide for their "Smart Plates" and airport data for Kindle....Looks like I paid too much!

This needs to find a permanent home----like on the top of the front page, where the weather links are.

one and only

flight planning I have been using for the last 6 years or so flying corporate planes. Whether it is in the jet or the turboprop, the numbers are always exactly as they say. Winds aloft, time enroute, fuel burn, etc. NEVER more than 1 minute off! Outstanding site. If you dig around a little on this site, you will find lots of cool stuff.

love the radar overlay feature; haven't seen that on a free planner before. Hoping Skycharts adds that soon. Weird , but on iPad, radar feature must be turned on, Then turned OFF to see it.

Erich

Last edited:
So nice to read the press release, well done. Also, kudos to them for letting FlightPrep know they are, er, number one.:D

I have been using FltPlan.com for most of my IFR flight planning for quite a while. They are fantastic. They have a function that will send a text message to your phone letting you know that your IFR flight plan is in the system, and then another text that will tell you what your actual route/clearance will be. They will send a fax to an FBO with your arrival info and any requests you might have, if you desire. GPS RAIM prediction for your flight plans is automatic, and much more. Really a great company.

Last edited:
Fltplan.com

Thanks, Doug. What a nice Christmas present to all of your readers! I'm hoping the folks who maintain the Pilots N' Paws web site will be able to tie FltPlan.com into their site like they did with RunwayFinder. It sure made the decision process for flying the little homeless dogs and cats easier.

FltPlan will let you customize your performance numbers to your aircraft. You can input the numbers yourself or get them from a ?Donor?. Does anyone have accurate performance numbers for a RV-8 with an aero sport IO-375 and a CS prop? If willing to share, I need your FltPlan username and tail number. You do not have to provide passwords. With those two bits of info you can import already ?established? numbers. If no IO-375 how about a 200HP 360
Thanks
Bob Markert
Littleton, CO
N747BM reserved
Slow build wings, considering FB fuselage!

I would like some information on an RV-9A if someone has already input their information. I won't be flying until spring but would be nice to have a baseline to start from. Like the above poster said it does not require your password.
Thanks

it may take a while to figure this beast out but there is a lot of good info in this flight planner. wxmeister is still my go to site though. thanks. got lucky on finding this post. :)
img1233ks.jpg

plymouth NH fall flyin 2012