JSERB

While working on my tail kit, a buddy of mine called out of the blue with an offer for a free Lycoming! Sounds great! Well it is off of an airboat (I know) and has a single mag, a modified intake, and a modified exhaust. It does say Lycoming on the valve covers but the block says "Mohawk". On the left side of the block the are the numbers 26DJMA and 61829 S, on the right side are 81828. Does anyone have any idea if this motor has any value other than an anchor? And if so, what is the diplacement and H.P

Thanks, Justin (RV-8 tail)

How about some PICTURES

While working on my tail kit, a buddy of mine called out of the blue with an offer for a free Lycoming! Sounds great! Well it is off of an air boat (I know) and has a single mag, a modified intake, and a modified exhaust. It does say Lycoming on the valve covers but the block says "Mohawk". On the left side of the block the are the numbers 26DJMA and 61829 S, on the right side are 81828. Does anyone have any idea if this motor has any value other than an anchor? And if so, what is the displacement and H.P Thanks, Justin (RV-8 tail)
Free is my favorite word. I would disavow you from just bolting it up and flying. I can't tell you what it is with the info you gave. Any pictures? You do need someone who knows Lycs to look at it to make a initial judgment if its worth messing with, keeping the looking gift horse in the mouth thing. If the initial ID check turns out positive, this is what I would do.

First get someone to visually say yea its a Lyc XYZ. It may not be an engine you want to use like a 290. Is it solid crank? Is it dynafocal or conical? A sharp mechanic can tell if its obviously a 235/290, 320/320AD or 360 parallel/360 angle, just by looking at them.

Than do a more detailed outside inspection and partial disassembly (turns over by hand, makes compression, no obvious chunks in sump / oil, simple bore-scope if possible.....). If that is OK, than get it and tear it down. From there you can decide if you want to send out the crank, rods, case, cam, tappets and accessory gears for inspected. If all is good with cleaning and inspection, you can decide to overhaul them for use or even sell them.

In my opinion, you have to tear it down and inspect/overhaul all parts before even experimental aircraft use. Cost of that can be several grand. Cylinders? You may need 4 new cylinder assemblies, about $4,000 total. Carb/FI overhaul $1000 or more. Single Mag? I assume there is a mag hole for the second mag? You can replace the #2 ignition with an electronic unit ($1,000). Plan on putting in at least $7,000 to $12,000 total to bring up to snuff, if all parts are usable cores and its an engine you want.

Modified intake? If its usable great, but if you need to buy a new sump is very expensive, unless you can buy a used one. You will need new exhaust anyway.

Mohawk and the numbers don't make much sense to me. The 81828 is a serial number? So lycoming might be able to tell you. You may be able to sell the parts off to air boat folks? Do you any history? It is free.

Post some detailed pictures. It could be junk or a goldmine. To put a little water of the fire you rarely get something of great value for free. It could be unsafe and a waste of time? It could be a great thing. If nothing else you can make some money selling parts to air-boat folks. You really need someone with engine knowledge to look and lay hands on it.

You may want to get on a Air boat forum and ask them what it is?

Last edited:
Check the cylinders for corrosion..

Our -6 has an engine from an airboat on it.. We just replaced 4 cylinders due to abuse from the airboat fellas.. Or so we believe..

Heres some photos

Helping my bud' Justin out here by posting photos he emailed me...

Looks like an O-290G to me... a ground power unit mill, as indicated by the big fat flange on the front. The intake probably hasn't been modified; the GPU engines have a totally different intake from the O-290D (aircraft) engines. There are plenty of these powering experimentals, but there are several mods that need to be made. And to begin with, that engine looks pretty rough. You'd have a long way to go to make it something you'd want to put in your -8. By the way, in stock form this thing is good for about 108 HP; you might be able to get 125 HP out of it with all the mods, dual mags, etc., etc., etc.

Just my opinion, which is worth every dime you paid for it.;)

Looks like an edgabacational tool

Take it apart and see how a Lycoming is put together. Assuming you can get it apart.

Not to mention that since O-290 parts have been out of production for many years, even a free engine that is a good candidate for over haul, will have cost you a lot when you are done. New pistons alone can fetch more than $150 each.

You get what you pay for....

A free Lycoming?

It's got to be junk....no one gives away good aircraft engines. The thing ended up on a boat because it was junk years ago.

Looks like an O-290G to me...
That is an O-290-G. Notice how the carb sticks up behind the accessory case?

You can convert this for aircraft use but you will need to change the accessory case, sump, & carb. Even after all that work, you will only have a 125 HP engine.

Junk it and keep looking.

I'm very happy with the O-290-D2 135 HP former Piper engine in my -9. Having said that, an O-235 would work fine and an O-320 would be better, again in a -9.

Since you are building an -8, keep your eye out for an O-360. A pumped up O-320 would work great in a light -8 but you will have to work to make a it light. Or not work by keeping all the extras out.

Last edited:
Thanks all

Thanks for the thoughts and input on the "free" Lycoming. Sounds like it will be short on H.P. and not worth the headache but it might have some educational value.

Justin

Lycoming 290-G

Am looking for a 290-G for an airbboat where all I need is the short block. Before you turn that puppy into an anchor, can we talk? I'm in southern CA but would need the 290-G in Alpena, MI.

TX

Pete