gvgoff99

Well Known Member
http://www.approach-systems.com/apiccompare.asp

Has anyone seen this and used it? I used Approach Systems for my radio wiring and was very pleased. To the best of my knowledge they are new in the GPS arena but I have not looked much since I finished my plane and purchased an "Anywhere Map" system. I am probably out of touch. If they are close to what they did for radio wiring harnesses the product should be excellent!

I have not been overly in love with the Anywhere system as it drops the Bluetooth connection with regularity upon initially opening the program and the screen of the PDA they sell is almost unreadable in daylight (direct and indirect). This is a PDA related factor, I know, I am just disappointed that Anywhere would sell a product to be used in sunlight that is almost worthless anywhere outside a dark room.

George,
I flew with an older PDA based Anywhere Map system a year or so ago and was impressed with the system. I had thought about getting a new one. I'm sorry to hear that AW is using a PDA that doesn't work well in the aircraft. Which PDA do you have?

Jim

Is it an HP?

If it's the HP travel companion with TomTom built in:

go to settings, system, backlight, brightness and turn brightness ALL THE WAY UP.

My shipped with brightness at about 75%.

It's still not perfect in direct sunlight, but it can be used.

I have Bluetooth for XM weather and it used to drop out if I got the unit too far away from the XM receiver. Lately though, it has been perfect.

If you don't have the HP 5915 travel companion, they can be had on Ebay for $350 to $450 (paid $399 for mine).
YMMV

Last edited:
AXI

I have the AXIM from Dell. I went to the AnywhereMap site and see that they do not sell it anymore or if they do it is not prominently displayed. I'll look to see if there is a brightness control that I missed. Thanks for the tip on the HP 5915 unit Joe.
Did you look at the link to Approach Systems? Am I missing something or are they in direct competition with Anywhere and at a considerabley better price with "Pocket Plates" being very reasonable?

I'm donwloading to test them out

gvgoff99 said:
I have the AXIM from Dell. I went to the AnywhereMap site and see that they do not sell it anymore or if they do it is not prominently displayed. I'll look to see if there is a brightness control that I missed. Thanks for the tip on the HP 5915 unit Joe.
Did you look at the link to Approach Systems? Am I missing something or are they in direct competition with Anywhere and at a considerabley better price with "Pocket Plates" being very reasonable?

I'm downloading their software to test it out. I have AnywhereMap XM and it works good, but a penny saved is a penny earned, etc.

BTW, I park my RV7A at weiser 4 or 5 times a week (live in San Antonio, work in Houston).

Weiser

Joe, I hanger at AXH (Houston SW). It will be good to hear what you have to say about the Approach Software. Looks like a deal to me. I am in Fayetteville, NC until next week but will also download the Approach Systems software with the thought of replacing the AnywhereMap stuff if Approach Systems software works with the hardware I currently have. We'll have to get together for lunch.