Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
After brakes are filled, it seems such a waste to keep a can on the shelf. I'll keep a bit and for the price of shipping, someone else can have what's left in the gallon can (from Vans).

Wait a minute, nothing in life is free. After reading multiple threads on brakes and problems with air bubbles, there obviously is a problem here and I need info.

Without going out and buying ANOTHER tool, how should I do this?

I have only the pilot side and a can of fluid that Vans recommends and the brakes are ready.

IE: Can someone give me a down and dirty, "this is how it's supposed to happen".

Seriously, the brake fluid is free after I'm done. I only have one request and that is to do the same for someone else. No way in God's green earth is it going to take much out of a gallon to fill the reservoir and lines. Just pass it on to the next guy when you have filled your plane. If you're not ready, let someone who is have first crack at it.

I would like to suggest keeping the brake fluid for future use. Every 5-years or 1,000 flying hours, you will need to replace the O-ring that is in the caliper. It is exposed to lots of heat and will start to leak. To change it, you will need to drain all the fluid out then re-bleed. I do not know how long the o-ring will last if you change it out with one made of Viton.

Nice thought, but I agree with Gary. Keep the brake fluid on hand, you are gonna need it.

I tried

Thanks guys. I'll hang on to it then. Good info for everyone else out there that bought the monster can. I about fainted when it came in a gallon.

Official announcement is "this offer has been cancelled by our sponser due to ignorance".

Brake Fuid

Aeroshell fluid 4 or Texaco 5606G can be used and is available from your local airport for about 10.00 gallon. 25.00 a gallon is a high price. The current MIL spec is (MIL-H-5606G)

Mil-H-5606 is the old stuff. Mil-H-83282 has been the new stuff for several (10 maybe) years.