copterdoc

Hi guys! I came across a mention on a Yahoo formum that PZL in Poland was selling 125 HP Franklin engines for $6000 or so new. So with curriosity up I went looking online and found their web page with a SPECIAL deal on the 125 HP Franklin for $6900 new in the crate! Actually only rated for 116@2800 rpm. They also claim to have kits for the RV-8 now, and -7 on the way. Here is their link: http://www.franklinengines.com/index.cfm . I called the number and only got an answering machine. Left a message. We'll see if they call back. I only offer this up as information. A new 116 hp FAA cert. eng. for $6900 in a RV-3 could be interesting! If anyone has any info I would be interested in hearing back.

Be careful here, unless things have changed VERY recently, PZL is not making the Franklin line anymore.

The web site you linked is for a bunch in Colorado, and NOT the factory.

I dont have any personal experiance with them, but as far as I can tell, they have a mixed inventory of new, used, and NOS Franklin stuff.

I have been flying behind a Franklin for 19 years now, very happy with the engine, and have tried to stay in touch with the status of them. If Franklin engines go back into production, I will hear about it through the Stinson club, and will post more here then.

All I am saying here is to check things out well. Nothing wrong with the motors, I would love to see one available for me -10 project.

Mike

If I remember correctly, I believe I read on some aviation site that PZL sold the manufacturing rights and tooling of the Franklin line to an american company. They also had a fire sale of their existing inventory. This was a month or two ago. Maybe the guy in Colorado bought up all the 125's. IIRC the 125 (116) is a bolt on replacement for the Continental O-200.

FYI, I sent off an e-mail to the Stinson club folks, as to the status of the Franklin production, am waiting for a reply, will post any new info I get.

Mike

A friend in NJ has an RV-8 with the 220 in the front and really likes it.

I seem to remember Van's also built an -8 with this engine but you don't hear anything about it. Any word on what happened to it?

copterdoc said:
Hi guys! I came across a mention on a Yahoo formum that PZL in Poland was selling 125 HP Franklin engines for $6000 or so new. So with curriosity up I went looking online and found their web page with a SPECIAL deal on the 125 HP Franklin for $6900 new in the crate! Actually only rated for 116@2800 rpm. They also claim to have kits for the RV-8 now, and -7 on the way. Here is their link: http://www.franklinengines.com/index.cfm . I called the number and only got an answering machine. Left a message. We'll see if they call back. I only offer this up as information. A new 116 hp FAA cert. eng. for $6900 in a RV-3 could be interesting! If anyone has any info I would be interested in hearing back.
They mention somewhere on their site that the power is 125 SAE /116 metric horsepower. So I think the power is possibly 125 continuous although the numbers are not self consistent throughout the site

The torque they claim at 2800 rpm works out mathematically to 135 hp.

At any rate the price looks terrific if vans has a mount for the continental O-200.

-mike

More on Franklin

I'm bored at work, I've been researching engines recently. One I've spent considerable time on is the Franklin 220. Here's what I can gather (relative to a Lycoming O-360)

Pros:
- six cylinder smooth
- higher horse power (220 vs 180/200)
- simpler oil system
- wet cam

Cons:
- Heavy
- Non-standard installation
? No fuel injection options
? No electronic ignition options

By all accounts it is probably every so slightly simpler/more reliable than a Lycoming. I particularly like the under-cylinder valve guides for two reasons: The cam stays bathed in oil (reduces cam pitting) and there aren't extra runs of tubing out to the head. They have had their own issues over the years like any complex contraption. There's plenty of info on th web if you go looking.

-Bruce

Bruce, a couple of additions to your list---

Pro, costs less for initial purchase

Con----parts harder to find, qualified mechanics ditto. Fewer aftermarket accessories.

That said, I still am very happy with mine after 19 years of flying it.

Mike Starkey

N941WR said:
I seem to remember Van's also built an -8 with this engine but you don't hear anything about it. Any word on what happened to it?

The original RV-8 prototype (blue/yellow) was re-engined with the Franklin. They flew it for several years but decided the gains were minimal and not worth the extra weight and complexity. I think they had to make a bed style mount for it and the cowling had to be cut up and extended. I know there were articles about it in the RVator but can't remember the approx. date.

Karl

yahoogroup

If you are serious about a Franklin, go to the rv-8 yahoogroup and post asking for David Brand. He put one in his -8. He can give all the details on what it takes and how happy he is.