fstringham7a

Well Known Member
Hi

I just wanted the group to know Frank has a arrived at SGU. :D He put that newly minted IFR ticket to the test. I also posted this info on Frank's "I passed my IFR check ride thread

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

Ya just remember not to forget the plates!

Would never had made it without the IFR ticket, picked up a little ice. pitot tube froze over (but very little ice on the airframe).

So a few firsts, first time I'd flown IFR without my instructor, first time IFR with a passenger and it went pretty well even when the controller tossed a few curve balls (changed the clearance route)

And yes I'm ashamed to say I'd left my approach plates behind...:(

The destination and a couple of airports I could easily get to were VFR so I had an out...Ooops!

Soo mostly a cool deal.

Frank

Ice???

fstringham7a said:
Would never had made it without the IFR ticket, picked up a little ice. pitot tube froze over (but very little ice on the airframe).

Frank

Pardon me Frank, but you could have also picked up "a lot of ice"....scary. Did you somehow manage to know beforehand that you'd only get "a little ice?"

Just be careful please,

Regards,

You flew IFR (presumably with IMC along the route) without your plates? hmmm... several flags popping up here, not to mention the possible implications of posting this info on the Internet.....

I probably shouldn't post anything here because I don't want to sound like I'm harping or on a soapbox or anything, but...

I know you know this...but IFR is SERIOUS flying. The feds don't take too kindly on forgetting charts or plates. I know you know that, but...check twice next time. I'm not saying I haven't done it once...won't happen again, either...

Did you know there was ice forecast along your route from the breifing? Another gotcha if you would have had a problem ice related in a far-from-known-ice-airplane.

First IFR flight in IMC with ice??? WOW! I know that's what you're trained for...jumping right in!!

First IFR flight in IMC with ice with your wife!? :eek:

I'm not trying to come down on you here, but seriously, be careful!

Glad you had a successful outcome on your first IFR cross country, and that you had a VFR out...

:)

Come on guys, give him a break. He'll get up to speed with a little practice. He's so much ahead of the other guys ducking in and out of the clouds with no training.

I agree John, BUT I also think one should ease it to it a bit! Just me though, and my opinion alone. Probably should've kept my mouth shut...:eek:

I'm TOTALLY happy for Frank that he finished the ticket! That IS a big deal! :D

fstringham7a said:
Now you know why the design standards for type-certificated aircraft call for pitot heat for aircraft that are approved for IFR. There is no reg that requires pitot heat for amateur-built aircraft, but the laws of physics are the same no matter who built the aircraft.

If you plan to fly IMC above the freezing level, then I strongly recommend pitot heat.

Yukon said:
Come on guys, give him a break. He'll get up to speed with a little practice. He's so much ahead of the other guys ducking in and out of the clouds with no training.

As I see it, these are folks who are concerned, who are offering constructive criticism, in an effort to help a fellow pilot be safe.

Frank, congrats on both the ticket, and the flight.

Fly safe, Mike

OK I should explain

Good advice on the NASA form and Frank #2 has printed me out a copy and I have 10 days to submit it....And I will.

First off I had a number of choices before asking for the IFR clearance.

1) The cloud was broken, i.e in and out, rather than IN and "Oh NO!" and screwed. I could have climbed above (about 13K) turned around and gone back to where I came from.

2) I only went IFR 'cus the visibility was getting reduced to just above 5 miles in mountainous terrain below the cloud level.

3) I had just passed a VFR airport that was easy to get to.

4) Center had no reports of icing.

The plan was to fly IMC and if I started picking up ice to climb the 500 to 1000 feet to get on top. I could have done this fairly easily. The other point was the Victor airway was above the terrain (for radar coverage) but the ground was in a valley.

Bottom line is that in cruising into the cloud I could have gone any direction to clear the conditions.

So while I thinks its easy to armchair quarterback I don't think the decisions I made were to near the edge as I had a few outs.

As to the plates...Total screw up, Couldn't believe I'd done it, but once again there were several (VFR) outs.

It won't happen again thats for sure!..In fact Frank #2 is printing the plates for me...:)

Cheers all

Frank

Oh and

Dynon heated pitot is sitting in my hangar...But I hope to never to need the ice thawing feature.

Frank