Mr Charles

Well Known Member
After some thought, I have decided to change from my wood FP to a CS prop...RV-4, IO-360A1A with bendix? fuel injection, Christianson inverted oil, vetterman exhaust...the plane was built in '93, has short gear legs and older cowl... can anyone tell me what govenor to buy to fit in my application, or if there are any interference issues? How about control cable length? Also, I assume I will need a MP guage...anyone know of a "real small" one? LOL My panel space is pretty limited!
Thanks for the help!
Charles

Charles,

A few of our customers are using our EICommander for their Tach and MAP guage. It works best with a P-mag but can be used as a standalone unit. It is small, light, and featured packed.

For people who aren't converting to a full electronic display it also includes a hobbs meter, trip meters, OAT, carb temp, and a few other nice features.

You can buy them from Aircraft Spruce.

Most early 90's RV4 builders would not have installed the firewall recess for the governor when using a fixed prop. I'm sure you verified your firewall wall recess is good to go?

conversion

One thing to check is your engine. Don't assume that because your data plate says A1A, that your accessories are correct. Check for the governor pad cover. Have you confirmed it is a hollow crank? Also it would be a good idea to test the oil flow circuit of the nose assembly. There is a SB on that.
That test will confirm everything is set up correctly in the nose for a C/S prop, if not, you will be splitting the cases to correct.
Rick is correct on the FW recess.
also make room for the prop cable and FW penetration, as well as the line from the governor to the nose.
I installed a PSU5000, it is small and works well.
Anything can be done, it just takes time and money.
Good Luck with your conversion.

FP to CS more questions

Thanks for the replys everyone!
Continuing my research...how about the older style cowl? I plan on removing the Mark Landoll fluid balancer....by reading some posts I question whether I will need to install different bushings in the crank flange...and then what about the cowl? Will I need a specific spacer to install this CS, or will it bolt right on without spacer or cowl modification...I assume no spacer as don't see how that would work with CS hub...Also, how about tools to install...someone mentioned a special extension for prop bolts/nuts on CS?
Charles

RV-4 CS propeller

Hi Charles,

With the 4 inch FP prop extension, and a 12" diameter spinner, your early style RV-4 cowl doesn't match Van's current standard 13" spinner diameter with a 1 1/2" cowl spacing.

A long hub Hartzell CS propeller or a standard Hartzell CS propeller with a propeller extension both carry a 3.8 G limit.

The MT Propeller does NOT have this G load restriction with the longer hub, because the MT propeller blades are significantly lighter than aluminum blades.

If you are interested in finding out more, contact me directly at [email protected], or by calling (805) 795-5377.

I can normally provide a complete propeller and spinner assembly that will bolt directly onto an engine with the existing cowl installation.

Jim Ayers