DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I am in need of a section of 4 inch SCAT tubing with an offset or joggle in it. Does anyone know of a supplier that makes such a thing?

What ?!?!?

Trying to visualize what this means is giving me a headache. ( and sometimes - fits of laughter )

OK, stop laughing now!
I need to make a detour around an obstacle with the tubing. In an ideal world, someone would make a formed offset or joggle around the obstacle.I have never actually seen such a formed piece, but surely I am not the first to need one.
Trying to visualize what this means is giving me a headache. ( and sometimes - fits of laughter )

Don, you asked for SCAT tubing. SCAT tubing is very flexible. You're probably looking for thin alum. tubing , to use as ducting with an off set in the ridged tubing.
We are just having fun with you, we are no smarter.

Can you fab a composite duct to meet your requirement a' la Dan Horton style?

Yeah now THAT is the answer I was looking for and could not find, sorry about making some sick and others break out in fits of laughter:eek:
Here is a photo of where I am trying to fix something, as is often the case with my engineering, I fix one problem and create two more! The shiny polished thing is my muffler and the tube leads to the oil cooler, I understand the muffler gets hot when the engine is running. The idea of fabricating a fiberglass "joggle" is exactly what I need!
1z6h44p.jpg
[/IMG]
Can you fab a composite duct to meet your requirement a' la Dan Horton style?

Last edited:
Don, Since Scat is flexible and can go around just about anything, I did not know if you were pulling our leg, or mixed up the description. OK - as others will also say, if you want that SCAT to go around something hot you can protect the scat with a radiation shield between the scat that the hot exhaust. Think of the hot object as a big light bulb, the same size and shape. The radiation shield would "shade" the component you don't want heated. Engineers call it "view factor" but it is the same thing. This way you can put a little piece of insulation on the shield to prevent direct contact of the SCAT, and that should save it from the hot muffler.

I was not belittling you, just joshing to get a better description of what you needed. It is not unusual for me to see something as funny and completely miss the point!

I hope this helps. ;)

Can you just put a 45* fitting on the oil cooler air inlet, this will push the scat off to the right, and clear the muffler better??

Or, even a less than 45*------whatever will do the job.

1z6h44p.jpg

Yeah, a 45 would work well. I have to go out to the lower cowl anyhow to suck off some cooling air. I might just make the whole run out of fiberglass built into the lower cowl, slipped over the oil cooler nozzle when installing the lower cowl.
Can you just put a 45* fitting on the oil cooler air inlet, this will push the scat off to the right, and clear the muffler better??

Or, even a less than 45*------whatever will do the job.

1z6h44p.jpg

Don
I had a similar situation on a heat muff scat tube.
What I did was bend the scat to the position you want it and temporarily hold it there with tape or wire or whatever works. Then, using some red RTV, apply a sizeable "glob" in the inside corner of the bend. Smooth & blend it accordingly. Once the RTV cures, remove the tape or wire and it will keep its shape. Since you said you wanted an offset, you may have to do one bend at a time. Also, you could even do this on the work table if you know what your geometry is.

Probably, but I can make the fiberglass tube go farther away from the muffler than the SCAT tube. Shucks, it don't even have to be round, might make it narrow and tall even!

Wouldn't the SCAT tubing withstand more heat than fiberglass?

Thanks. Most interesting. I have plenty of SCAT to practice on, might just try that. I guess another choice would be to bend it that way, then cover it with fiberglass to keep its bend from coming out.
Don
I had a similar situation on a heat muff scat tube.
What I did was bend the scat to the position you want it and temporarily hold it there with tape or wire or whatever works. Then, using some red RTV, apply a sizeable "glob" in the inside corner of the bend. Smooth & blend it accordingly. Once the RTV cures, remove the tape or wire and it will keep its shape. Since you said you wanted an offset, you may have to do one bend at a time. Also, you could even do this on the work table if you know what your geometry is.