szicree

Well Known Member
I've already fabricated my wing/fuse fairing out of a single strip of aluminum as on the 7's and all came out just fine. Today I began making the bracket that attaches the tank to the fuse and am finding that if I build it to plans it will poke down well below the fairing. My 4 plans call for this bracket to bolt to the F-450 (big piece of angle along bottom at side/floor junction), and a piece of 3/4 by 3/4 stringer that runs diagonally along side of fuse near my feet. While looking at Dan C's site, it looks like on his bird the bracket does not extend nearly this far down. I'm confused and looking for a way around all this. HELP!?!?!

Steve,

If Im following what you are saying. the bottom bolt only goes through the fuselage skin and stringger. It is a flathead screw therefore the skin/stringer are countersunk to accommodate the head. The 2 bolts that attach the steel bracket are the top 2 bolts only that go through the same piece of angle you are adding to the inside of the fuselage.

I have some pics here. I hope this helps.
http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/WINGS/05-11-27.htm

This pic kinda show the top to bolts that hold the bracket on the outside and if you look closely you can see the flathead screw at the bottom below the blue fitting in this pic.
WINGS%20274.jpg

In this pic if you look in the part that is circled on the plans you can see the 3 bolts. The top 2 hold the bracket and the bottom one is flush outside.
WINGS%20261.jpg

-Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,
Wow! This is my first look at a modern set of RV plans and they make the ones for my 4 look like hieroglyphics! The arrangement on my plane is quite different than yours. Specifically there is no reinforcing angle inside the plane on mine. Picture the steel piece on yours quite a bit taller so that it can bolt directly to where the flush bolt now is, thereby eliminating the need for the piece inside tying the stringers together. Obviously this also causes the bracket to poke out from under the wing root fairing. I'm gonna run it by Vans and see if it's ok to simply replicate what you've got. Thanks a ton for the pictures, even if they did make mine look dirty and primitive. :D

LOL sorry Steve. I jumped right in to help without seeing you are building a -4. Man what an assumption. :confused: I'm sure some other than us got a laugh at me. ;)

-Jeff