tvlawyer

can someone 'splain me the difference between horizontal-forward facing induction and vertical induction? why is FF about $2k more and is it worth it?

Horizontal/forward-facing usually has a "cold air induction" design. The difference there is that the intake air isn't routed through the hot oil sump...rather through a cold "section" of the sump (or sometimes a totally separate section). Colder air = denser air = more HP.

Advantages of horizontal induction in an RV (other than cold air induction & higher HP) include...no need for a snout on the lower cowl. If you follow Van's plans you install the air filter in the baffles in front of the front left cylinder.

DOES THIS ROB AIR FOR ENGINE COOLING???

Early on I decided to go with the Horizontal Air Induction. It seems to me that robbing what air would be used for cooling the engine from one side would greatly increase the temps on that side. Explain it to me. I have accually thought I might change to Vertical for this reason.

dan said:
Horizontal/forward-facing usually has a "cold air induction" design. The difference there is that the intake air isn't routed through the hot oil sump...rather through a cold "section" of the sump (or sometimes a totally separate section). Colder air = denser air = more HP.

Slight correction. A "cold air sump" FF has a seperated induction that does not go thru the oil pan. I believe that ECi and SkyDynamics are the only ones making them (but I could be wrong :) ). Lycoming FF sumps, like the one on my angle valve still route the intake tubes thru the oil pan.

RV8RIVETER said:
Lycoming FF sumps, like the one on my angle valve still route the intake tubes thru the oil pan.

Uh, no they don't. There's a separate plenum area under the oil section with a horizontal wall between the oil and air sections. Being a common wall, however, you'll still get some heat conducted from the oil side to the air side, but not nearly as much as the vertical induction oil pans which have the induction plumbing completely surrounded by oil.

Heinrich Gerhardt

Forward if you can afford

Forward will gain you a little MAP on takeoff and at cruise if designed correctly with the correct inlet diffuser shape. If your looking to get the most out of your engine go forward facing servo or if on a budget go vertical. It all has to do with what you want to spend your money on, speed, horsepower etc. But the difference is very small. My 2 cents.

Sceptic but incomplete data

rv969wf said:
Forward will gain you a little MAP on takeoff and at cruise if designed correctly with the correct inlet diffuser shape. If your looking to get the most out of your engine go forward facing servo or if on a budget go vertical. It all has to do with what you want to spend your money on, speed, horsepower etc. But the difference is very small. My 2 cents.
My vertical intake FI, Superior IO-360 "Plus" has the required snout, of course.
My GRT measurements at altitude suggest very strongly that I'm getting at least 1" of MAP more than the density altitude alone could provide. It's a straight run from the snout through the K&N filter, to the air box under the throttle body. Yes, it has to make a turn there and yes it goes through the oil sump. My SWAG is that the snout + straight path makes up for the weird path the intake air has to take to get to the FF intake. Can't prove any of this.

Vert is fine, Horz is more for aesthetics

tvlawyer said:
can someone 'splain me the difference between horizontal-forward facing induction and vertical induction? why is FF about $2k more and is it worth it?
The splain is this, FF induction cost more and does very little, except looks cool if you use Vans airbox which eliminates the lower cowl scoop. That is it, it does almost nothing, at least for a RV. Most important you have to decide everything you want up front:

Prop
Airbox
Exhaust
Carb of Fuel Injection
Engine (parallel/angle valve)
Cowl cooling inlets (stock) modified (round)
Brand of cowl, stock, SamJames, Show Planes​

Fwd facing induction does not work well with all combos but better with others.

Why FF induction exist in the first place? It was made for light twins that had shallow cowls and nacelles. It allowed tighter cowls, better transition to the wing with lower frontal area. On a RV you have a firewall the is X by Y and you really are not reducing the frontal area. Mooney being the forward thinking folks adapted FF for their single engine planes with some good and bad.

Myth: There is much more "ram" are with the FF induction? Well may be, kinda of, sorta of but not really. Look all the air is going horizontal and all the air has to go vertical and to each cylinder at some point. In other words all the air has to make a 90 degree turn to get to the cylinders at some point. Whether your FI throttle body happens to be vertical or horizontal does no matter much to the throttle body. Of course with a Carb Horz is academic, unless you have a pressure carb, which you should avoid like the plague, expensive and rare.

If you want to "convert" to horizontal with a Vert sump there is a cool adapter tube you can by that makes that +90 turn right at the sump and mounts the FI TB horizontal. http://www.lazy8.net/intakesystem.htm He has some claims of pressure gain with his system that I have a hard time believing but he is pretty careful in his flight test. The good part is it gives you more room to make an in-line airbox. The down side however is whenever you deviate from the PLANS is you make more work for yourself. So if you use vans airbox and cowl you make less work. Do something different, weird airbox, other cowls (Sam James) you may paint yourself into a corner. Its all good but beware of making a snow balling increase in work. 99% of the builders are best served sticking with known combos.

Overall Vans horz airbox/no scoop cowl is pretty, and you may pick up a MPH or two from not having a lower scoop. (Vans airbox gets air from the left cowl inlet.) It also does petty good in recovering air for induction; more correctly it is has minimal loss and holds it own. Part of the reason is that long Ram horn diffuser (duct) that goes from the flat filter to the FI TB. Cooling is NOT an issue. Those stock cowl inlets are way big and induction air takes very little air. The down side of using Vans Horz airbox is you must USE Vans cowl**. Personally I'm a fan of the ROUND INLETS. Sam James cowl will not work with Vans Horz airbox. However you can put a scoop on the SJ cowl and use Vans Vert FAB just like stock.

**These guys have a RV-8 cowl with round inlets and retains Vans Horz airbox. How they did it not sure.http://www.showplanes.com/index_1024.htm (If building a RV-8 I would consider this cowl with Vans Horz airbox and FI.) Again you have to think it ALL through.

If going Vertical sump you have lots of options as well, but one thing for sure is you will likely have a scoop on the bottom. Van's and SamJames will work. I think the round cowl inlets and sealed plenum are one of the biggest single GAINS you can get on a RV. What little gain, if any, there is of FF induction is no where near what gain you get from lower drag with the round cowl inlets.

The problem with having straight shot Fwd Facing induction is there is no room to develop a good diffuser (air box to slow the air down) and / or filtration. But Dan the man has a work around on his site that is cool (read below).

Dan the man has a cool set up where he has both Van's airbox and a RAM air induction (by pass of air filer). This adds some complexity and build time and weight but its one way to go. He says he gets more RAM air. Well partly the gain is just from by passing the filter. Of course he adds a scoop into the cowl which may cause some drag? (very little but something).

My opinion is Vertical is pretty good for most builders and $2000 is a stout premium for elimination of the scoop. I like the scoop my self. Also really the scoop does not add much if any frontal area since you still have the cowl and cowl air exit frontal area.

My Preference drove my choice:

I wanted 4 into 1 and Round cowl inlets. Horizontal induction is easier 4 into 1 exhaust routing. With out the Carb/FI on the bottom of the sump the tubing run on a 4 into 1 exhaust is straight forward and you can buy them off the shelf. I went with a Carb because that is the engine I had, a O-360A1A. So I made a custom exhaust 4 into 1 exhaust (more work but cost wise I made out as a bandit, about $600 at the time, see pic below.)

You now can buy off the self 4 into 1's for RV's from several suppliers but most are made around FF induction, but I am sure that has or will change with time and demand. If you have a Carb, 4 into 1 can be done. Even Trikes (RV "A" models) have 4 into 1's available now, which is a good trick considering the nose gear being in the way!

The other MUST HAVE for me was the the round cowl inlets and sealed plenum. One down side of Sam James cowl in the past with a forward facing induction required you use a fixed prop with a longer extension or a special (less available more expensive) constant speed prop with an extended hub (further out from the cowl). With out the longer cowl the SJ suggested airbox did not fit. Its a mess. Sam James I think has changed his cowls so extended props are not needed with FF induction? When I last checked he was working on it, but again, deviate from stock combinations or parts you are asking for more work.

With that said, YOU MUST use Fwd Facing fuel injection IF you want that no scoop look. That will force you down the road of a specific combo of parts. However either Vert/Horz gets the job done. If the no scoop look is your thing, than write a big check. If you want a Carb, do deal, choice is made. If you are flexible consider the Vert just to save money and make it easier to build.

Last edited:
No temp effect.

The Horizonatal Induction does NOT rob cooling air from the left cylinders. Mine are the same as the Right CHTs within 5?C.

If you still can't decide, go an watch someone trying to fit the lower cowl and the scoop to the Vertical Induction Air intake. What a fiddle.

With the Horizontal Induction the Intake is attached to the Baffles and independent of the cowls.

Pete.

RV6

I think the scoop is cute and looks correct for my RV6. "Fiddle"?? There are a couple of things you can do to make the cowling slide right up and into place with the scoop. So, if you go that way, just search the threads and you will find a lot of posts to that affect. Done right, they are no more difficult to install.
RV7/8 where designed primarily for horizontal induction. If you go verticle, search the posts again as there is some "fiddle" you have to do there, but it is very doable.
Either way, once your flying, all of this will be forgotten!

fodrv7 said:
............if you still can't decide, go an watch someone trying to fit the lower cowl and the scoop to the Vertical Induction Air intake. What a fiddle............
It is a fiddle alright. Pete knows a thing or three. The lower cowl can be a real PITA to reinstall, especially solo. First you have to snake the cowl through the gear leg, clock the prop, clear the spinner, be mindful of making sure the gasket around the FAB wraps itself correctly around the ram air nozzle as the cowl is raised into position, that the seals on both sides of the cowl mating the lower baffles are oriented correctly, the hinge halfs lined up, their vertical pins inserted, and when that is all done, get down on your back, find and reattach the lower cowl brace plate which located behind the gear leg, insert the lower hinge pins, and then wrap up the whole process by sliding and screwing the upper nose gear fairing back place....whew! Maybe that is why after running short on time (as I justified to my wife) the other day, I left the hangar after an oil and filter change with the cowls still lying on the floor. As I patiently explained to her....a major reason why the current project will be fitted with cowl devoid of an air scoop and all that nose gear complexity. Anyway.....she bought off on all my fiddling. Sound like a reasonable tune to you? :D

I guess that I am just lucky....

RV9A, IO-320, vertical induction, Hartzell CS prop, lower cowl installation time about one minute. It does take me an additional two minute to crawl under to install the one bolt and 8 screws.

The top usually takes about two minutes.

Kent