Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
In our never-ceasing efforts to expand the family empire westward, I am going to be headed to Big Bear Lake to hide out at the cabin (that seems to be all the rage these days) for the month of March. I am going to lead the way with a ground unit (need to have a truck out there) sometime next week, and I?ll have the staff pilot deliver me an airplane when she can work it into her schedule. (Louise will unfortunately have to return to Houston because of that pesky ?real? job, and to keep the Huskies from looting the supply cabinets. )

The stated intention of the mission is to find a quiet place where I can start to get my head around the new job, but a man can?t write and edit every day of the week, so I hope to spend some time at local (with an RV, ?local? is defined as within 300 miles?) pilot hangouts for some lunches and visits. I already know about Axel?s ice cream social, and assuming the Wx cooperates, I hope to see folks there! Otherwise, I?ll have to research the favorite lunch stops. I hope to catch up with a number of folks that I am always promising to visit in SOCAL, but never find the time.

I?m planning on moving a considerable number of maintenance tools to our hangar out there ? enough to do routine maintenance and inspections, but no fabrication. (I figure that if I need to get deeper into an airplane that spark plugs or tires, I can probably find someone from which I can borrow what I need?. Right Rosie?! ;)) For really heavy maintenance, I guess I?ll have to head back to the main depot in Houston.

Paul

Welcome to California, Paul!

Put Kern Valley (L05) on your list of $100 hamburger destinations. I hope to meet you at Inyokern (I'll be in the 170 parked in the boonies.) You're always welcome in Tehachapi, too.

Not a hangout perhaps, but if you're looking to "collect" another airfield, feel free to stop by mine and say hello some weekend. About 3 miles North of Rosie.

If a lunch/dinner stop happens along I-10 while piloting the ground vehicle through the Tucson area let me know...:)

Last edited:
Mi casa es tu casa!

In our never-ceasing efforts to expand the family empire westward, I am going to be headed to Big Bear Lake to hide out at the cabin (that seems to be all the rage these days) for the month of March. I am going to lead the way with a ground unit (need to have a truck out there) sometime next week, and I?ll have the staff pilot deliver me an airplane when she can work it into her schedule. (Louise will unfortunately have to return to Houston because of that pesky ?real? job, and to keep the Huskies from looting the supply cabinets. )

The stated intention of the mission is to find a quiet place where I can start to get my head around the new job, but a man can?t write and edit every day of the week, so I hope to spend some time at local (with an RV, ?local? is defined as within 300 miles?) pilot hangouts for some lunches and visits. I already know about Axel?s ice cream social, and assuming the Wx cooperates, I hope to see folks there! Otherwise, I?ll have to research the favorite lunch stops. I hope to catch up with a number of folks that I am always promising to visit in SOCAL, but never find the time.

I?m planning on moving a considerable number of maintenance tools to our hangar out there ? enough to do routine maintenance and inspections, but no fabrication. (I figure that if I need to get deeper into an airplane that spark plugs or tires, I can probably find someone from which I can borrow what I need?. Right Rosie?! ;)) For really heavy maintenance, I guess I?ll have to head back to the main depot in Houston.

Paul

Ironflight, ANYTHING I have is there for you, and for heavy maintenance, we have FULL machine-shop capability to make anything you need. Several of our members work at Scaled Composites so we've got ALL your bases covered! Get on over to Rosamond Skypark (L00) and I'll access you to my hangar (fingerprint lock) so you can come/go as needed :D Rosie

Let me know if you get out to Ramona (RNM). There are quite a few RV's there. My project is still incubating in the garage, but I'm not too far from the airport. Gladly buy you lunch!

Hi Paul,

You will probably have a very peaceful time in Big Bear, now that the manhunt is over and the news crews have gone home.

I retired from Spacex in Hawthorne, CA to Big Bear City a year ago. I spend much of my time at my hangar at the Big Bear Airport trying to complete an RV-6A that I brought here last November from Texas.

I look forward to meeting you and will give you any assistance that I can.

William Rogers

562-569-0613