tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
The plans I have for the 8A tell me to use a AN-257 hinge for the forward baggage door. My kit came with two types of hinges, I will call them small and large for reference.

The large hinge has stamped on it MS20257-3. The smaller hinge has nothing at all stamped on it.

Does anyone know if the MS20257-3 is also known as AN-257? I do not know which of the two hinge sizes I am supposed to use.

Thanks

And one more thing.....

Thanks Rick, I very much appreciate the pic.
Glad to help Tony. When to comes time to find a way to hold the baggage door open, there are more elegant solutions than using sash chain or other cheesy methods. I used the "Spring Thing" a simple device used on Beech aircraft and it works perfectly. When locked into place, it would take a substantial wind gust to close it. More details on my installation can be found here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23278&highlight=Spring+Thing

spring thing

Thanks for the spring thing info. I saw that in another thread here, posted by you I think.

I am using the carbon fiber door. The spring thing will probably work on the carbon fiber door just as well as the metal one.