cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
Just getting started. I finished most of the RV 9A empennage kit at Alexander's but didn't finish the counterweights. I need a good way to trim the counterweights in elevator. Will a vixen file do the jo and do I need to order one. (Didn't come with my Isham RV tool kit). Is there an easier way or a better tool? There seems to be a lot of lead to trim.

While I am ordering, what is the best way or cheapest way to bend the aluminium lines for brakes, fuel etc.

What about a protractor for measuring travel of elevator, wing angle of attack, etc.

re: trimming lead

I drilled a hole at the "corner" of my trim on the elevator weights. That lets you get a nice radiused inside corner and also makes the other cuts less critical. For the long straight cuts, I actually just used my hacksaw. Others have had trouble doing it like this, but it took me about 5 minutes. I cleaned it up with the Vixen file, but my other Harbor Freight files worked fine too.

re: should you buy a Vixen file....Yes! That sucker kicks butt. I don't use it THAT much, but when I do it's very handy.

Use a wood chisel.

You have more control and it produces no lead dust. Saws, files and sanders just didn't cut it (pun intended) for me. Good luck.

Thank you all. .I ended up using a hacksaw and it seemed to work o.k. when smoothed with a file. Now, I will try to install them and eventually balance them.....much later I am afraid. Until then, I will not know if I did alright.

I am doing my fuel lines at the mo, go to Harbour Freight & get yourself a tube bender, $6 & does both sizes. Bends come out real nice, I have used the springs as well & they don't do as neat a job esp if you want some tight bends like the 180 deg on the HP fuel pump on FI Engines.

hth Stephen RV7
Finish Kit today