deanm

I'm New Here
We have an RV 7. There seems to be 2 basic types of aftermarket T/wheels double and single fork. The double looks real draggy compared to the single. And they both look more draggy than vans t/w. Being that the down tubes are round and the large bolt that holds the wheel on. I need some honest feed back on anyone who has one or both kinds of the 1 or 2 fork assemblies. I like our cruise speeds and really don't want to lose any. Round in the wind multiplies resitance by 4x. So that is my concern, any anwsers or real world numbers would be appreciated. Thanks Dean

We have an RV 7. There seems to be 2 basic types of aftermarket T/wheels double and single fork. The double looks real draggy compared to the single. And they both look more draggy than vans t/w. Being that the down tubes are round and the large bolt that holds the wheel on. I need some honest feed back on anyone who has one or both kinds of the 1 or 2 fork assemblies. I like our cruise speeds and really don't want to lose any. Round in the wind multiplies resitance by 4x. So that is my concern, any anwsers or real world numbers would be appreciated. Thanks Dean

You want real world numbers so here they are--zero discernible difference in cruise speed between the two types of tailwheel forks. I've had both types on my RV-6; however, the forked tailwheel with a steering strut definitely looks faster. ;)

Dean,

There is a tail wheel fairing you can add to either fork.

The advantages to the fork bracket outweigh any speed gain, which apparently there is none. The forks allow the tail wheel to hop up over obstructions rather than working like a tail hook, pulling the aft two bulkheads out, should you catch something.