mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I deburred my foreward upper skin and started the fitting process. It really doesn't want to fit very well. Basically, it is resisting the bend. Have most of you pre-bend the skin before fitting to get it to lie down properly? Is there a good technique for doing this?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 (almost) Finishing
San Ramon, CA

Hi folks,

I deburred my foreward upper skin and started the fitting process. It really doesn't want to fit very well. Basically, it is resisting the bend. Have most of you pre-bend the skin before fitting to get it to lie down properly? Is there a good technique for doing this?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 (almost) Finishing
San Ramon, CA
Mike,

I suspect the problem is little more than technique. I'm a fan of 100% clecoing structure and if ever a skin was well served by it, this is the one. Start by clecoing all the rivet holes running longitudinally along the centerline of the skin. From there, start working outboard and down a few clecos at a time starting at the firewall then the baggage bulkhead and finally the instrument panel. The skin will yield well enough if you keep the cleco count even across the skin by installing 3 or 4 clecos at a time.

Mine got a section removed for the fastback kit mod and thus probably wasn't quite as stiff, but it went on fine just as Rick described.

There is no reason you can't run it through a set of slip rolls if you really want a pre-curved panel. I wouldn't try to bend it any other way; too much chance of waves due to uneven radius.

Edge Roll

I'm pulling wire right now, but I've had that skin on and off a few times.
I have the most fit trouble where the edge lays against the fuse upper longeron. When cleco'ed on, there is a fair gap at the faying edge.
I used the edge roller from Avery to put a small inward turn to the edge of the skin before I dimpled, but now I'm thinking about carefully going back and adding a little more....
For those that have gone before...how did you get a good edge fit? and what about bucking those rivets by the canopy weldement and gear towers?

I used a 3 ft piece of 3 inch pvc to roll a curve in each side. The 1/16 gap on
the side pulled down tight when riveted.

Bruce 9A almost there