garrys

I'm looking for some real world feedback on folks satisfaction with the new Foreflight XM Weather for inflight use on the iPad. My previous experience with XM and WxWorx on my Grand Rapids EFIS was terrible! Reliability was 25% at best, and refresh rates were slow to the point of being useless. I don't want to invest $1,000 in the new setup if it isn't going to work any better than my previous attempt. If anyone is using this this setup please let me know your satisfaction.
Garry Stout
RV7A, Tampa FL

pirep

I have installed the Baron Mobile Link, a $200 product, in both our RV7a and our RV 10. It works as advertised and transmits the xm weather info from an xm receiver to the iPad via wireless. The mobile link is essentially a wireless router with software in it to talk to an xm receiver. I use Foreflight and it has excellent diagnostic info to help determine if the xm receiver is working properly. I am using an old original first generation xm receiver that I have had for 7 years or so. It does work well most of the time. When it does not, a power off reset is in order. All that said, if an xm receiver did not work well in your installation previously, it is not likely to work any better tied to a Mobile Link. The one advantage to this new setup is that you can use the Foreflight diagnostic info to determine how well it is working and make adjustments to the xm antenna placement.

I also have GRT EFISs in both planes with an xm receiver in each. In the RV7a,the xm antenna is in the vertical stab and even with a 6 year old original xm receiver, it works very well. In my opinion, the antenna placement is critical to reliable xm reception. In the RV 10, the xm antenna is on the glare shield and xm reception varies.

Yes, I have 3 xm receivers. My mission is long cross country trips so I believe these tools help me with the risk management of the weather we encounter during those trips.