GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
I know this comparison has been hit on in several other threats, but I just gotta ask.... Is it me or has Wingx lapped Foreflight? I'm currently in my 2nd subscription year of Foreflight and have always been very happy with it..... That was until yesterday. A friend showed me Wingx on his ipad..... It appears (to me anyway) WingX is head and shoulders above Foreflight. Being a happy Foreflight user for a year and a half and figuring the differences were probably more of a Ford/Chevy thing I never wasted a chance to recommend Foreflight. I'm as human as the next guy and will usually defend my decisions to the end, but I gotta say, Foreflight has a lot if work to do if they are going to get another renewal from me come September.

Anybody else have any information on comparisons of the latest versions of each?

Good question, I'm up for ForeFlight renewal and have been evaluating WingX but haven't used it enough to make a decision.

I don't know the answer either but as a ForeFlight user for about 18 months now, I'd like to know what features lead you to believe Wing-X has lapped FF. The one area that FF has definitely fallen behind on (IMO) is ADS-b. There's only one hardware option available and it has a reputation for over-heating. When I wrote to FF to find out if there were other options on the horizon, they were rather slow to tell me definitely maybe. Their technical support has been great. That was about 8 months ago and I would really like to have weather onboard but I'm reluctant to drop $800 on Stratus at this point given its history.

When I look at ADS-b, I am really taken by the iLevil ADS-b with an AHRS. It seems to offer a lot of advantages, including an instrument back up that independent of the ships power and would give try redundancy to an onboard EFIS. But, it doesn't work with ForeFlight.

I like FF, its easy to use, does everything I want except give me ADS-b options. Everything I've heard is both programs are excellent but they're different and it isn't easy to change....but I'm probably not renewing either unless they come out with and ADS-b option I like.

Just an FYI. I did a little looking around and FF acquired the i1000 Flight System (an iPad app that works with iLevil) last November. It had terrain for $59. Two days ago FF upgraded to ver. 5.0 and it has terrain. Now if they add the iLevil support, I'll be happy.

For what it is worth, I tried FF for a year, then switched to WingX. I personally found WingX to be much more to my liking than FF.

Hello Everybody, My name is Widget and I'm a WingX User, recovering Foreflight user.

Hard to answer this question. I was totally hooked on FF until I got a Skyradar unit for my ADSB and went to WingX. At first, all I did was complain about this and that that was different from what I was used to.

Now after about a year with WingX I'm very satisfied, for the most part. WingX still doesn't do ADSB weather like it should. I can see METARS and TAFS, but no freezing level, winds aloft and a few other things. This is supposed to be coming in the "quote, March Update". Haven't seen or heard anything about it yet, but March is not over.

They both file, plan, show most weather, rubber band of some sort, track and north up, show plates and airport info.

Foreflight is hamstrung with the Stratus. No Traffic with that option and that's a real minus IMHO. Being stuck with only one ADSB option in this day is another minus.

There are many comparisons where they are the same but different and you will have to make up your mind. There are other Apps coming out but most are playing catchup not.

For me, I'll gladly renew my WingX subscription when the time comes and not even think about Foreflight again.

I have a subscription to both apps but mostly use WingX Pro in flight. Just renewed if for3 years to get the best renewal price. I probably won't renew FF. I got the subscription because I wanted to really try FF out. I had used my free evaluation period a long time ago.

WingX Pro had most of the features of the latest Foreflight update for several months. In addition, you get the obstacle warning system and geo-referenced taxi diagrams in the base subscription. ForeFlight requires the pro subscription to enable those features. I also like the split screen abilities of WXP. they always seem to be 3-12 months ahead of FF. WingX Pro also supports more hardware goodies than FF.

Having said all that, both programs are pretty close to each other and provide more features than any dedicated handheld aviation GPS. I currently prefer WXP, but wouldn't be upset using FF. The differences are relatively minor, and what one app has, the other usually gets within a few months.

Wing X for a year now and love it. I have the levil AHRS Mini wireless for the synthetic vision and no problems, in my opinion it is a serious back up if not primary for VFR.

I have both, but WingX

is the only one I use ---- just so much easier to access everything and the variety of ADS-B receivers available for WingX makes it hands-down winner. (I still like my iFly 720 and always have it backing up everything)

King Kong vs Godzilla

I currently have both and really like the way Foreflight displays certain things, like the airport page. But Foreflight hitched their wagon to Stratus, and WingX moved on to be more external hardware friendly.
I am in line to receive my Sagetech Clarity next week. If this GPS, ADS-b, AHRS system works well...goodbye Foreflight. But I must also say that the centerpiece of my panel is now an ipad, and the AHRS Clarity feed is my only attitude reference. I am VFR day/night equipped, but really don't fly at night.

Jim
RV-4 N444JT
Leesburg, VA

I'd been planning to go with the Garmin G3X for my panel... but have been wondering if something like the iLevil/iPad would make a fine panel instead of the traditional options.

I'd been planning to go with the Garmin G3X for my panel... but have been wondering if something like the iLevil/iPad would make a fine panel instead of the traditional options.

I intend to have a single Dynon Skyview screen, backed up by an iPad with FF or WX. But since I haven't flown this combo yet I can't comment how it works. My mission is day/night VFR.

I just got PocketFMS on my Nexus 7. Wouldn't touch an iProduct if it was thrown at me, but that's another story...

I haven't actually used it yet, but it seems OK, although a bit rough on the edges. Integrates with several EFIS's and work on almost any hardware (Apple, Android, MS). Full integration with Becker and MGL. Stores everything in the cloud for easy access on any device you may have. A license work on all devices you may have.

I just got PocketFMS on my Nexus 7. Wouldn't touch an iProduct if it was thrown at me, but that's another story...

I haven't actually used it yet, but it seems OK, although a bit rough on the edges. Integrates with several EFIS's and work on almost any hardware (Apple, Android, MS). Full integration with Becker and MGL. Stores everything in the cloud for easy access on any device you may have. A license work on all devices you may have.

You're recommending a system you haven't used yet vs one (that works well) that you refuse to use????

You're recommending a system you haven't used yet vs one (that works well) that you refuse to use????

I haven't recommended anything. Besides, neither of those other two works at all - outside US as far as I can see, and only on iPads.