dan carley

Well Known Member
i would like to know which app do most people
foreflight or Garmins pilot not sure which one is better.

thanks
dan carley

Wing X, FlyQ, iFly for me

You will get a bunch of opinions on this one! Everyone likes the one they are using.

R.

adsb

The ADSB In solution you pick will dictate which moving map solution you use on your iPad or Android.

I've been running Pilot for several years now and was going to add a GDL39 for the AHARS and ADSB-B in info. However, my planned upgrade to Skyview and the teaming with Foreflight drove me to Stratus and FF.

I've only used FF a little bit, but I see no real difference for the type of flying I do. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

The ADSB In solution you pick will dictate which moving map solution you use on your iPad or Android.

+1
WingX works with many ADSB-in boxes.
Garmin with Garmin
Foreflight with Stratus (and now, Dynon)

BTW if you hold a CFI, WingX is free. (But I chose WingX even when I had to pay)

My wife uses them in the backseat; we have been alternating between ForeFlight and Garmin apps every year; we now have 2 complete cycles. She seems to prefer Garmin; I don't like either.

I guess ForeFlight is fine, but here's why I use Garmin Pilot instead. ForeFlight presents you a "sectional". A year ago, I planned a trip from Atlanta up to Milwaukee. I used AOPA's flight planner which also uses a "sectional" like ForeFlight. Then I double checked the route on Garmin Pilot. I discovered I had planned myself thru 5 class D airports.:eek: Never saw the darned things,---reason, sectionals are just so "busy". Also trying to find intersections and/or waypoints on a sectional presentation is next to impossible. (These come in real handy while hugging the shoreline of Lake Michigan right on the edge of or just below Chicago O'Hare's class B.) On Garmin Pilot, this is a snap. Very easy to see.

I don't know the proper name for Garmin Pilot's format, but its just like AOPA's flight planner "used" to be maybe 5 years ago, before they changed to the sectional map format.

You can try Garmin Pilot for free for 30 days. I assume ForeFlight has a similar offer. Have fun:p

Last edited:
No affiliation with any company, Just like this one (FlyQ) and think it's a Fantastic deal that may go unnoticed.

Summary of deal: Try FlyQ EFB 30 days for free, purchase a 1-year subscription and get 1 year free! (Expires Wednesday 3/25/15)
The product was just updated on the 18th to version 1.5.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=c0136e1e-0aa8-4af2-a7d3-e73204feba88&c=e391bc60-eee4-11e3-a10d-d4ae528440e0&ch=e48718e0-eee4-11e3-a181-d4ae528440e0

Here is a better link:https://www.seattleavionics.com/default.aspx
with more info options available

Last edited:
I guess ForeFlight is fine, but here's why I use Garmin Pilot instead. ForeFlight presents you a "sectional". A year ago, I planned a trip from Atlanta up to Milwaukee. I used AOPA's flight planner which also uses a "sectional" like ForeFlight. Then I double checked the route on Garmin Pilot. I discovered I had planned myself thru 5 class D airports.:eek: Never saw the darned things,---reason, sectionals are just so "busy". Also trying to find intersections and/or waypoints on a sectional presentation is next to impossible. (These come in real handy while hugging the shoreline of Lake Michigan right on the edge of or just below Chicago O'Hare's class B.) On Garmin Pilot, this is a snap. Very easy to see.

I don't know the proper name for Garmin Pilot's format, but its just like AOPA's flight planner "used" to be maybe 5 years ago, before they changed to the sectional map format.

You can try Garmin Pilot for free for 30 days. I assume ForeFlight has a similar offer. Have fun:p
No dog in this fight at all, but I have to say ForeFlight does what you are describing also. In both apps you can see IFR routes, victor airways, TFR's, etc. In the beginning of all of this ADS-B stuff there were quite a few differences. Now these two apps are very similar.

I have run both for 2 years now. One thing I find extremely helpful in ForeFlight is the winds aloft page. It is very easy to see multiple altitude wind speeds/directions on any flight by clicking on the "altitude" in the flight plan. The display of multiple westerly/easterly altitudes and their wind speeds/directions, (and temperatures) makes accounting for projected winds and temperatures on the route while flight planning very easy.

I use ForeFlight for pre-flight flight planning. I use Garmin Pilot while in flight because I have the GDL-39 feeding traffic and weather. They both work so it ultimately is going to come down to what you find you prefer.

perhaps the "portable flight deck" will be the next of the never ending debates :D

There are several axis for your decision. Once you prioritized them, the decision is often simplified.

• What device platform will you use ?
    • Android
    • Apple
    • Windows
    • other
  • Which ADSB-IN device will you use
    • Stratus
    • Garmin
    • NavWorx
    • other
  • What is your mission
    • VFR
    • IFR
    • Training
    • CFI
    • other

In a few cases, the above will not narrow your options but often, it will narrow you down to a single choice (which of course in not really a choice).