AX-O

Well Known Member
I just purchased a Vans alternator with an internal regulator. I then called B&C and asked if I could use one of their external regulators and was told no. I also purchased a Ford external regulator in order to comply with the Aero Connection Z-11 diagram. After thinking about it, I have the following questions.

Is Z-11 a diagram for a system with an alternator that does not have an internal regulator? The drawing does not specify. If that is the case, can I use the Ford regulator in addition to the internal one that exists in the Vans alternator? Does that add a level of protection if the internal regulator fails?

The gentleman at B&C talked to me about his products in great deal. Their product sound like they are better than the products Vans sells. Are Vans alternators not adequate for our application? He told me that the Ford type regulator would not control over-voltage, is that true? Maybe I just missed understood him.

I hope not to ignite primer or nose/tail wheel kind of wars here. Just trying to get my electrical system designed. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. By the way, we build these things to learn. I hope my questions are not considered trivial. Oh, I called Aero Electric Con, but no joy.

Depends on what you want

The internally regulated alternator will not control over voltage.

Having said that, a modern internally regulated alternator is lightyears ahead of anything you'll find on a Cessna that is regularly flown in IMC.

So does it it matter all that much..I mean OV situations are pretty rare so if you have a VFR bird with a simple radio and a transponder it probably don't matter that much.

But if you have an IFR bird that is electrically dependant (i.e no vacuum operated DG and AI), then an OV situation could fry a very expensive panel and whats more leave you flying blind with no attitude reference.

Hmm...Rare event or not, its probably worth avoiding.

So based on your needs you could fit an internally regulated "Plane Power" alt (Vans has the best price) or a B&C externally regulated device....Both of these would protect against OV but maybe a little over kill if you looking out the window.

Frank

I just purchased a Vans alternator with an internal regulator. I then called B&C and asked if I could use one of their external regulators and was told no. I also purchased a Ford external regulator in order to comply with the Aero Connection Z-11 diagram. After thinking about it, I have the following questions.

Is Z-11 a diagram for a system with an alternator that does not have an internal regulator? The drawing does not specify. If that is the case, can I use the Ford regulator in addition to the internal one that exists in the Vans alternator? Does that add a level of protection if the internal regulator fails?

You do not use a regulator (any brand) with an internally regulated alternator. The AeroLectric diagrams that show a regulator are for an externally-regulated alternator.