Depending on the day (or even time of day) I waffle between the -7/-8's and the -9. I am a fairly low time VFR pilot who hasn't flown for a few years (I went back to school and will finish soon). I like the idea of the stability of the -9 but am intrigued by the nimbleness of the others. Short term, obviously the -9 is a better choice for me but I intend to fly MY airplane for a long time. I have read the latest Kitplane article about the -9, but I would like some other opinions. Pls disregard slider/non-slider, prop, tri or TD options.

Try to sit in all of them...

Ward Johnson said:
Depending on the day (or even time of day) I waffle between the -7/-8's and the -9. ...
I'd try to sit in all of them, or get a ride in all of them. Also, depends a lot on the kind of flying you want to do, and if anyone will be riding with you on a regular basis.

If you're "wide" and your buddy is "wide", the side by side aircraft can get cozy. Also, two sweaty, hairy legged guys wearing shorts in a side by side can be kind of, well, uncomfortable. You and a hottie side by side can be nice. :)

If you have kids that you want to teach to fly, then the side by side will be a lot better. If you want to live out childhood fantasies of being a WWII fighter jock, then there is only one choice.

The only quality you address directly between the models is that the 7 and 8 are more "nimble" than the 9.
So seating arrangement opinions aside, it sounds like you're mostly concerned with how you perceive that there might be a difficulty difference in flying the 7 or 8.

If that's the case, consider that learning ANYTHING new is always daunting because you're learning something that you've never done before. The time it would take for you to become comfortable flying the 7 or 8 is the same as if you started with a 9. Either way, you have to learn it's characteristics and behavior.
However, you would soon become very familiar with the aircraft (7,8,9, F-14.. no matter which) and you would probably wonder what all the fuss was about.

Look at mission most of all because if you choose for any other reason, you may regret your choice because once you're flying, you will always be on your "mission" for which you bought the aircraft for in the first place.

My mission is simple; flying with my wife on frequent cross country trips. I want it fast, she wants to sit next to me, and I want the aircraft to penetrate and handle chop well, and I live in Texas so taxiing with the canopy open is a must. Your mission may be different but I tell you mine just so you can see the thought process.

The model I chose fulfills that mission better for me than the others so thankfully, Van's offers the variety of models he does so that we all get to match the plane to the mission.

Choices, choices.......

Vern thinks along the same lines as I do. I enjoy FAST cross country trips and my wife wants to be by my side when doing so (and so do I). The occasional roll or two doesn't hurt your ETE either. If you can fly/land a Skyhawk or 150, the 7A or 6A would not be any problem......in fact, you'd wonder what the fuss is about. Taildraggers are a different story but manageable with some dual. The few MPH that the 9 lands slower by is not worth the cruise speed reduction in my book and you can't do aerobatics either. I'm 6' and 188 lbs and my wife is 5'5" and 130 and have enough room on any given trip.
Pierre
ps. 202 MPH true is a given at 7500 + and under 10 GPH too, turning 2700 RPM on a three bladed Catto and 180 HP LYC. in our 6A. :D

Highflight said:
Look at mission most of all because if you choose for any other reason, you may regret your choice because once you're flying, you will always be on your "mission" for which you bought the aircraft for in the first place.
Vern is saying it like it is here. Your purpose for flying needs to tell you what to do. Look carefully at what you hope to do with the airplane. All of the various models are very good at what they do and all will do you justice if pressed to perform some outside its designed envelope (i.e. land on a short field, unimproved, high density altitude grass strip). You are the only one who can determine what that flying mission will be. Study the different designs and go with the one that best fits your needs or desires.

pierre smith said:
The few MPH that the 9 lands slower by is not worth the cruise speed reduction in my book and you can't do aerobatics either.
It appears to me that there are an awful lot of budding aerobatic champions out here flying RVs. By far the largest complaint I hear about the RV9 is that it cannot do aerobatics. Well, as for me, I am building a 9 because it is not designed for aerobatics. I am not built for aerobatics myself and because of that I have absolutley zero desire to do aerobatics in my plane. Of those I talked with who are actually flying RV's, everyone told me the difference in speeds for the RV9 compared to the other RV's is not worth mentioning. In some cases the 9 ended up being faster than other RVs. So I stuck with making my decision on the type of flying I would be doing. My desire is to go cross country fast and comfortably without having to worry constantly about keeping the airplane upright and on course. The 9 fills that need very nicely.

As others have said before: Just get after it. Order what you want and get busy building it. After that it will just be a matter of time (ok, it is a matter of money also) before you will be able to do more than just talk about it. You will actually be able to finally fly your own airplane that you built instead of sitting in front of a computer screan dreaming about flying (voice of experience speaking here as I have flown many a flight dreaming in front of this computer screen :p).

RVBYSDI
Steve

In other words, fish or cut bait....

I think I am pretty much decided on the -9 to be honest. Unfortunately it will be a few months before I can order the first kit so I have too much time to second guess my self. Knowing me, whatever kit I do order I will quickly become an fanatical advocate of THE best plane offered. ;)

Until then, more computer screen flying I reckon.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think there are folks that would prefer the 9 over the other models. Apparently Van?s does too?.that?s why he designed and manufactured it.

Personally I wouldn?t make the decision to by a 9 solely because I didn?t intend on doing aerobatics. I?m sure a lot of people have flown the other models without doing aerobatics. Just because it?s designed for it doesn?t mean you have to do them.

The only reason I say this is because I would like the comfort of knowing my plane was designed for a certain amount of aerobatics when I?m in the chop on a hot Texas day.

Just my opinion. I?m sure the 9 is a great plane. If that?s what you want go for it. I?m building an 8 myself and I?m sure many people can give reasons why they wouldn?t build an 8. I just like everything about it.

Donald
RV-8 Empennage underway
N-284DP Reserved

Ok I will reply because I fit the criteria "For those who have flown 7, 8 and 9". I'll add 6 and 10 in my case. I'll give you my take, but each person has to decide what they want and what is important to them.

Anyways my flight impressions. The stall on a 6 woke me up as there was a large pitch change. The stall on my 9 you could sleep through, and cannot remember stalling any of the others. I wanna say I stalled the 8 and it was also a total non-event but I just do not remember as that was a while ago. The 6, 7, 8 were all a bit more responsive, the 10 a bit less. To me, not much more responsive. In the 6-8 it seemed like you just thought about it and it happened. In the 9 you have to not only think about it but also touch the stick. The 9 might be considered the "trainer" of the Van's fleet but I assure you it is 99% RV and 1% trainer. I think it is easy to fly and land don't get me wrong, but then again I thought the 6, 7, 8, 10 were too (I didn't actually land the 7 or 8). The speeds, climb rates, and so on put all of them far away from any trainer airplane I ever flew.

Last edited:
It depends .... :)

Ward Johnson said:
Depending on the day (or even time of day) I waffle between the -7/-8's and the -9. I am a fairly low time VFR pilot who hasn't flown for a few years (I went back to school and will finish soon). I like the idea of the stability of the -9 but am intrigued by the nimbleness of the others. Short term, obviously the -9 is a better choice for me but I intend to fly MY airplane for a long time. I have read the latest Kitplane article about the -9, but I would like some other opinions. Pls disregard slider/non-slider, prop, tri or TD options.
I believe that this is a decision that involves both logic and emotion.

My **opinions** follow.

Logically, you can put the 6/7/9 in one category (side-by-side) and the 8 in another (tandem). If ya gotta go tandem then case closed. BUT, if you want Side-by-Side then logic (and other factors) says build a 7 or 9.

Now it gets tough. Fact, the 7 is "stronger" than the 9 (+6 vs + 4.4 G's etc.) . But the 9 is probably strong enough for 99% of pilots. So unless you REALLY plan to do a lot of loops and rolls, then the 9 is still in the running.

So now how do you decide??? Beg, borrow a RIDE in both!!!

I have flown the 6/7/8/9/10 (and was a paasenger in a 4) and there ARE differences! They all have that "RV Feel" but they are all different. Not better or worse ... different.

[Note: I know that the construction will make a difference in the feel but I mean beyond that.]

Summary comparision from MY perspective of the 7/9.

- The 7 feels more "responsive" (but our 6 feels even more so. :) ).

- The 9 feels more "stable" (subjective comment there).

- The 9 departs terra firma at an even slower speed and stays aloft at a slower speed (than the 6/7).

- The 9 takes even LONGER to slow down! It wants to glide on the least of air! :) (During my RV checkout some years ago, the instructor always reminded me that in the RV it is hard to both "slow down and go down" at the same time and boy is that ever so true with the 9. I mean this in a POSITIVE manner.)

- You must get SLOWER in the 9 to reach flap extension speed .. thus more planning on the slowing down.

- The 9 responds like a 6/7 in the first "10%" of stick movement (what you will use MOST of the time) but builds up in the stick forces as you try to say bank hard. This helps (I think) give it that more "stable" feeling.

Sooo... again, go find a ride and after all the logic, let the emotion of the moment tell you which one fits **YOU**.

James

Just some other factors

I chose the 7A over the 9A afer much fussing. The areas I eventually deemed decisive - for me - were:

• Shorter wings - easier to hangar
  • Able to take 180 hp or even 200
  • Stronger - better reserve strength in turbulence or over time
  • About 100 miles greater IFR range at comparable speeds
  • Uses RV airfoil as opposed to Roncz's - better known.
h

RVbySDI said:
By far the largest complaint I hear about the RV9 is that it cannot do aerobatics. Well, as for me, I am building a 9 because it is not designed for aerobatics. ........I have absolutely zero desire to do aerobatics in my plane.
RVBYSDI
Steve

Ditto! I also looked at the -7. I even flew it in Oregon because I had made that decision BUT I'm not going to pilot a plane through any aerobatics. If I want to fly upside down I'll contact one of the guys I know that has a plane that can do it and go up with them. According to the Van's stats if you put the same power configuration in the RV-7 and -9, the seven only goes about 2 mph faster.

I too am a low time VFR pilot. I haven't had the opportunity to fly all sorts of different planes. My big push for the -9/A is the slower stall/landing speeds and the handling characteristics at the lower airspeeds. Keep in mind - the RV-9 will out run anything you took lessons in. check the stats at the Van's web site -the RV-9 will cruise quite quickly with an O-320 and FP prop.

If you were flying in a Cherokee 180, FP prop, throttle in the firewall (approx. 142 mph approx. according to personal experience) - an RV-9A, O-320, FP prop, power setting 55% (approx. 168 mph according to the Van's stats), - the 180 can't keep up.

my $.02

Robert M said:
Ditto! I also looked at the -7. I even flew it in Oregon because I had made that decision BUT I'm not going to pilot a plane through any aerobatics. If I want to fly upside down I'll contact one of the guys I know that has a plane that can do it and go up with them. According to the Van's stats if you put the same power configuration in the RV-7 and -9, the seven only goes about 2 mph faster.

I too am a low time VFR pilot. I haven't had the opportunity to fly all sorts of different planes. My big push for the -9/A is the slower stall/landing speeds and the handling characteristics at the lower airspeeds. Keep in mind - the RV-9 will out run anything you took lessons in. check the stats at the Van's web site -the RV-9 will cruise quite quickly with an O-320 and FP prop.

If you were flying in a Cherokee 180, FP prop, throttle in the firewall (approx. 142 mph approx. according to personal experience) - an RV-9A, O-320, FP prop, power setting 55% (approx. 168 mph according to the Van's stats), - the 180 can't keep up.

my $.02

That mirrors my thinking pretty closely. The hottest thing I ever flew was a 172, with extended range tanks no less!
The only thing I wonder about is whether, after more experience, will I want to go inverted? I need to catch a ride I think. Who knows? It may scare the &$!# out of me but I kinda doubt it. Years ago in the Navy I used to look forward to storms. They were FUN!

Ward, I have had a 6A, an 8, and now have a 7 & 7A. I have not flown a 9. They are all fantastic. With over 500 hours in RV's, I have a serious addiction. My wife prefers side by side. I like the 8 for looks. They all perform about the same. I feel the aerobatic capability may make resale better than a 9, but, we all have different taste and missions. Good luck
Doug Preston
RV-7 N731RV
RV-7a N196VA

I had a distinct stall aversion I had to work hard to overcome in training, and finally came to enjoy them, but I was never very comfortable in 60 degree turns. That makes me wonder about the aerobatics thing. It may have been that I was never very confidant in the rattle-trap rentals I was flying or I may have just been chicken. I don't know. I think I would be happy in a -9 but I also might wonder "What if...."

A local RV-8 driver offered me a ride, and I will take him up on it. I reckon I will know then.

Nervous Nellie

Last edited:
Ward Johnson said:
I had a distinct stall aversion I had to work hard to overcome in training, and finally came to enjoy them, but I was never very comfortable in 60 degree turns. That makes me wonder about the aerobatics thing. It may have been that I was never very confidant in the rattle-trap rentals I was flying or I may have just been chicken. I don't know. I think I would be happy in a -9 but I also might wonder "What if...."

Definitely consider taking some aerobatic instruction before deciding on which plane is for you, you'll quickly learn that a steep bank is just physics and the plane and pilot will be fine. You also might find that aerobatics is really fun and challenging.

Before choosing what to build, I flew a nine, six and a four. I decided side by side seating was more handy for cross countries (the 8's and 4's sure are pretty though - nicer view for the pilot also).

I really loved the loops and rolls, so that kinda decided things for me. Obviously, YMMV.