klovning

Well Known Member
What is the maximum "g" you've ever experienced during landing?

What is the maximum "g" you've ever experienced during level flight that you didn't try to pull/push?

- just trying to feel out what kind of forces these planes might be subjected to without trying.

What is the maximum "g" you've ever experienced during landing?

Nothing noticeably over 1. Of course loads during landing are transferred to the landing gear, not the wing.

What is the maximum "g" you've ever experienced during level flight that you didn't try to pull/push?

When it is really bumpy I see something around 2 or a little over and 0 or so. I may have seen 2.5 on occasion. Nothing in normal flight approaches the aircraft's limits.

Interesting that sharp edged 2 gs in turbulence is really really uncomfortable for me. It can feel brutal. On the other hand, a nice smooth pull to 5 gs or so feels relatively like nothing.

Last edited:
Jason,

This is the G Data I plotted from my Dynon after a particularly uncomfortable flight. For comparison I included the data from a "smooth" flight I made the week earlier.

<-- Click to enlarge.

As for G loading on landing, as you can see from the data (The last bump before the flat line.), my landings are fairly smooth.

What surprised me was the flight from the 25th was VERY smooth, yet there were a good number of small bumps. The flight on the 30th almost had my wife ready to barf and she is a good passenger.

The other thing to note is the negative jolts were more severe than any of the positive hits.

As a side note I rolled the plane and then cranked it into a TIGHT left turn. The roll was all of 1.2 G's but the turn was 3.8. Go figure.

Last edited:
Nothing noticeably over 1. Of course loads during landing are transferred to the landing gear, not the wing.

When it is really bumpy I see something around 2 or a little over and 0 or so. I may have seen 2.5 on occasion. Nothing in normal flight approaches the aircraft's limits.

Interesting that sharp edged 2 gs in turbulence is really really uncomfortable for me. It can feel brutal. On the other hand, a nice smooth pull to 5 gs or so feels relatively like nothing.

This mirrors my experience. I hate those sharp bumps that bounce my noggin off the canopy.

Instantanous Gs

I am not sure most g-meters actually have the capability to register the true instantanous gs of flying in turbulance.
Landing loads are cushioned by the gear and therefore your g-meter should not read much even on a bad landing unless you totally bottom out the gear and tire.

- just trying to feel out what kind of forces these planes might be subjected to without trying.

5.5 G. Was in level flight and hit CAT. Went up 1,500 then down 1,000 before I got the airplane under control.

Thanks everbody! Sounds like, except for rare cases most people are able to keep it between 0 and 2 at all times...

Jason Klovning M. D.

I believe that you will find that most of the accelerometers used for measuring flight loads during normal maneuvers are filtered to attenuate high frequencies (like airframe vibration and shocks). The accelerometers used on the flight recorders on large aircraft filter out anything above 4Hz.
Investigators are asking for that to be increased in the future so that hard landing shocks can be recorded more accurately (as a possible contributor to later "incidents", etc.).