Special Delivery

Well Known Member
This is a follow-up to an earlier post I made in another thread. I've copied the original post below. This post is verbose and mildly opinionated. I apologize in advance if I?ve failed to meet posting guidelines or if any part offends. Moderators, please don?t boot me from the forum... I?m addicted! I?ll do community service if need be.

A little perspective on the ?visions? I stated earlier. If you?ve ever wondered about the ?Flyin? Tiger Field of Dreams? in my signature, it?s the early beginnings of a dream I have for 81D where I hope to accomplish a program similar to what I've outlined here.

My hope is that this thread will stimulate only constructive thoughts and actions and that it provides an opportunity for each of us to look inward and find our very best.

I found Paul?s account of his personal experiences wherein the generosity, counsel, and example of others influenced his life to be quite moving. I do however disagree with Paul regarding the gifting an aircraft to an individual, but then, I?m not at all sure that?s what he was actually saying. Paul is an absolute master at stimulating our thoughts, and I believe that he once again did a masterful job. Following are some personal thoughts for your review and consideration:

(1) Organize a publicly funded 501(c)(3), possibly include VAF in the name for recognition, and further, provide for named chapters to be formed under the XXX charter and approved by-laws to allow build projects and/or learning centers to be conducted at a local level. This provides a solid foundation upon which to build; provides individuals and businesses full tax benefits for contributions of all kinds, time included; and the organization owns and manages all assets. Lots to discuss in this area, but you get the idea.

(2) The purpose of the organization would be Education and its purpose fulfilled through an organized mentor and instruction program within the scope of general aeronautical knowledge, and more specifically, the skills, trades, character, and self discipline required to build a flying aircraft.

(3) No free lunch... While the organization might charge a nominal fee, or not, participants would be rewarded for accomplishments such as punctually, attendance, skills mastered, etc. Rewards might be defined as flight instruction time, paid tuition to an approved ground school, flight hours in a completed aircraft or a project aircraft when flying, etc.

Not everyone who participates in the program will continue in the field of aviation, and I don?t believe we should hold that expectation. I also believe a program of this nature should include a mix of gifted and talented AND less fortunate kids. The mission will be accomplished if our efforts inspire but a single child to ?become all they can be?. I believe there is great opportunity and potential for a program like this to inspire hundreds of children. And yes, I?m available and willing to assist if called upon. Have a great day!

Original Post
============================
Paul, while I agree 110% with your suggestion... possibly a greater good could be served if VAF sponsored a small group. I know of at least one person (a flight director for NASA) that fondly recalls his years in an aviation troop/post of the Boy Scouts of America, and who also credits that experience as an influence in is life and career. VAF has an abundance of resources to host a group build program. The most difficult decision will be where and who. I envision (1) a group of VAF members volunteering to assist in the selection of an individual and/or group; (2) that for obvious reasons the first build be conducted at 52F; (3) that the project be promoted in local and national news; and (4) that if found to be a successful program, that future build projects be held around the country and started on an annual basis with completed projects displayed at LOE, SnF, and OSH. Given the vendor support demonstrated at LOE, this type of project should place very little financial burden on VAF individual members. If you can't tell by now, a project of this nature a personal dream, and I'll guarantee the financial support needed to complete the first build.