Allan Stern

Well Known Member
:) I want to thank everyone who posted a comment about my thread on when do you walk away. You had an opinion that you expressed. Not like my college students who don't have an opinion on anything.

Everyone was right in what they said. The examples presented were poignant. As one said, if you fall off a horse, you should get right back on and try again. If you don't then FEAR could creep into your life and paralyze you from ever doing anything again.

The cause of an accident was important whether it was a mechanical failure or pilot error, hopefully a lesson would be learned and you would benefit from it. Nowhere was I advocating that you give up something that you love to do just because it was risky. Because living is risky and everyone dies no matter what you do. So do something you like and love.

What I was trying to say was if you have had several close calls in which you did walk away, irregardless of the contributing factors, a person could consider it a warning, and that the next one might be your last. For example, I will give up smoking after I am diagnosed with lung cancer or have had my first heart attack. How many "warnings" do you get in life? The choice is an individuals to make.

Any way, I went out yesterday afternoon and flew my plane and am not ready to give it up. For me it is a calculated risk.

Thanks for replying.

Allan Stern

For example, I will give up smoking after I am diagnosed with lung cancer or have had my first heart attack.

Then there was my Uncle who served in WWII, contracted TB, smoked all his adult life, and was finally diagnosed with lung cancer ... at the young age of 70. He lived another 8 years, gradually getting worse and still smoking. I remember he would have his aide remove his oxygen so he could smoke. Why shut the barn door after the horses have escaped?

In a way, though, it proves your point. He played the odds all his life and basically won - 70 was not a bad life span for his generation. It did get me to quit smoking, though. I'm hoping to die in my 90s of something quick - like jealous husband.;)