aarvig

Well Known Member
So after many discussions with Van's aircraft and a review of my process and procedures as well as the replacement of a few parts I have finally completed an effortless leading edge assembly. I will tell you, this has been the most frustrating step in assembly to date and it almost made me quit. But thanks to the good folks at Van's they helped me through some murky waters.
First of all, my leading edge skins were dented outward beyond a level of satisfaction so I replaced all my leading edge skins. Second of all, DO NOT USE THE LEADING EDGE CRADLES TO ASSEMBLE YOUR LEADING EDGES!!!!!
The leading edge is so tight on the 9 that you end up jamming the flange of the rib into the skin bending it outward.
Then, make sure the rib is flanged and fluted with absolute precision. Then grind down the area of the rib web that is curved into the flange. Grind just enough to smooth it out, but not to much so as to thin the flanges to an unacceptable level. It was mentioned to me that this is not a real structural area and even if the LE flanges (without holes) broke off it wouldn't be a big deal. (But ideally you dont want this). After doing this, reflange and reflute the rib making sure it is straight. Place the skin flat on a table. Cleco the most forward top hole in the leading edge skin to the corresponding hole in the rib. Then gently push the rib forward with your thumb on the aft bottom part of the rib while slightly opening the skin. Put a cleco in one of the first four holes (towards the leading edge) on the bottom of the rib from the rib side through the skin. After you have done this for all the ribs go back and add more clecos until you are done. Reverse the clecos that were put on from the inside out.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy. No swearing. No throwing tools, no scared family members cowering in the doorway wondering why dad is so mad.
Once completed there will still be some minor pushing out of the skin but definitely NOT denting.
I am hoping Vans updates this procedure in the manual.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Last edited:
I will tell you, this has been the most frustrating step in assembly to date and it almost made me quit.

You have got this far and have only now felt this way?, man, you are doing good.
Next time it happens, go inside, have a beer, watch some TV and contemplate the universe. After having done that, return to the the build and enjoy what you are accomplishing.

Last edited:
Process

Aaron
Remember how you did it. The tanks go together in a similar manner. I didn't use a cradle either.

Likewise. The cradle, despite how it's written in the manual as being such a godsend, is useless. Within an hour of me trying to fit it inside the skin, it was more trouble than it was worth. It was much easier for me to just "put my weight into it", lightly laying down on the skin to keep it bent and not spring open while clecoing in the ribs.

The tanks will be worse, mainly because the skin is thicker. And it'll be more "fun" refitting the ribs during riveting, when you have proseal slathered on the rib flanges and skin rivet lines.

Good luck. :)