avee8tor13

Well Known Member
I am going with a conventional ignition system and was wondering the best location for the starting vibrator. I am guessing there are only two avalable locations. Outside on the firewall or inside of the panel area.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Starting Vibrator

This component is used to aid in the starting of a Lycoming using two mags. It is comprised of an electromagnetic solenoid that VIBRATES very rapidly during the cranking process by turning off and on the electrical current going to the RETARD points in the number 1 mag. I think this action is suppose to help boost the voltage output at the spark plug for slow cranking for easier starting. Most builders are using SlickStart boosters and Electronic ignitions on their kits but some of us are using the original magnetos thus requiring a STARTER VIBRATOR. See below link for a picture. Be careful when searching on this component. You will get some interesting results. Some are Lycoming related and others are , well....

http://www.donmaxwell.com/publications/MAPA_TEXT/Shower of Sparks/clip_image005.jpg

I think this is for the "shower of sparks" system? As far as I know, a standard 2-mag system doesn't have any other components. My Skipper has 2 slicks (one with impulse coupling) and an ignition switch. That's about it.

I guess I always thought the impulse coupling was all that was really needed. At first I thought may be some people were using and old Model T vibrating spark coil. That would be an even bigger throw back.

I'll skip the search.;)

Roberta

shower of sparks vibrator

Mounted mine on the fore/aft ribs between FW and inst. panel

Steve Barnes the Builders Coach

Must use a starting vibrator if no coupler.

It is my understanding you need to use a starting vibrator if your #1 mag does not have a coupling assembly. Looks like the sub panel will be the mount point not to far from the ign switch.

Thanks all for your response.

RVeely Yours,

Avee8tor13

Roberta, Bendix mags used them...

....instead of an impulse coupling. Our engine came off a tornado-flipped Comanche and had the starting vibrators...a little box that goes BBBBBZZZZZZT:) producing a hotter spark during cranking. We replaced them with Slicks...

Regards,

Shower of Sparks

My original configuration on my 6a had this device and it was installed at the top of my firewall just left of center and it worked great. I had no impulse coupling.
When I changed engines I went with the impulse coupling and did away with the "shower of sparks". Van's sells them. It is listed as applicable to the IO-540 for installation on a 10 yet it is the same part number as what I had on an O-360-A1A.

SlickStart

I wanted to go with a SlickStart but could not find any. I am using S-200 Bendix Magnetos. They use to offer one, an SS-1002 but evidently are no longer available. So until the money tree gets some new buds, I will stick with the starting vibrator.

Thanks all for your responses.