RScott

Well Known Member
Last week I had my furnace replaced & the guy had a neat tool RV builders might find useful, replacing hand seamers and bending brakes for some functions.

Imagine 3 pieces of steel sheet, about .035" thick and say, 18" long. Two pieces are 4" wide and the third is narrower, say 3 1/4". They are riveted or spot welded together to form a sandwich with the narrow one in the middle making a groove 1/4" wide on one side and 1/2" on the other.

To use, slide your piece of AL into the groove and simply fold it over. There is a link to an online video at http://www.malcoproducts.com/products/seamers/foldingtools.asp

They can be purchased on Amazon or Ebay, search for Malco folding tool, or at other sites. There are also other manufacturers and I suspect you could make one easily out of thicker pieces of AL.

Simple wood version

That looks like a handy tool.

When I was at the Sport Air RV class the instructor described how to make a simple home made edge forming tool similar to this out of wood. Simply cut a slot into the side a long piece of hardwood with a table saw and use that to flare the edge of straight sheets.

I believe Home Depot has them too. They have lots of other Malco sheetmetal tools. But then I'm a furnace/ AC person by trade, and have several around. I've actually used them numerous times on the RV.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I believe Home Depot has them too. They have lots of other Malco sheetmetal tools. But then I'm a furnace/ AC person by trade, and have several around. I've actually used them numerous times on the RV.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

My very first job was cleaning up a sheet metal shop and bending s and drives. I was 15.