Yes!...... Went to the hangar yesterday and measured right where your elbow would be on the armrest and measured out from the side skin 1 1/2 " and marked it. Drew a line from the front outer edge to the line that I marked and to F605. Came in from the F605 bulkhead 1 1/2" and drew a line form there to the inside corner of the armrest and the F605.

Got out my snips and now I have some elbow room. I increased the width from armrest to armrest by 3". I am going out right now to rivet a new angle edge on and then decide what to do next. Whatever I do from here on, it will be an easy mod, and easy to alter later on. That big armrest was always a waste of space.........

Or does he mean MIDDLE?.........:eek:

Last edited:
Center armrest

Yes!...... Went to the hangar yesterday and measured right where your elbow would be on the armrest and measured out from the side skin 1 1/2 " and marked it. Drew a line from the front outer edge to the line that I marked and to F605. Came in from the F605 bulkhead 1 1/2" and drew a line form there to the inside corner of the armrest and the F605.

Got out my snips and now I have some elbow room. I increased the width from armrest to armrest by 3". I am going out right now to rivet a new angle edge on and then decide what to do next. Whatever I do from here on, it will be an easy mod, and easy to alter later on. That big armrest was always a waste of space.........

Not the side, MIDDLE!!! I'm thinking about a center rest. Perhaps hinged and able to be raised to move it out of the way.

The -10 has a nice arm rest avaiable as a stationary counsol. Very nice for long flights. It also opens up and you can get 4-5 beers in there! :eek:

folding armrest

I had one I built for my RV-6 (sold). I'll see if I can find a picture of it and send it along. It won't hold any beer - it's just a simple armrest. Pivots on the electric flap motor housing so your right arm lays on it and lines right up with your throttle. It swings down out of the way when you don't want it there. Made useable armrests for my new RV-8 too....

Scott
RV-6 Sold
RV-8 almost finished (inspection next Friday)

Saw that

The -10 has a nice arm rest avaiable as a stationary counsol. Very nice for long flights. It also opens up and you can get 4-5 beers in there! :eek:

I saw that but I want more knee room and afraid the counsol would be a bit confining.

I want a fold away (sounds like the early post of "I want a drink holder").
Hey, maybe both can be done here.

Hinged on the flap housing with a pivoting axis would work but will need a support. I'm thinking a bottom support that slides into place would be the ticket.

Center armrest and step, cup holder

I bought production model #2 from the inventor/tinkerer and consummate great guy, Mark Phillips, at the PossumWorks. I received my "Thing" and shot it with some primer and paint. This thing is really cool. It will mount between the seats and is a stable structure to step on when entering the plane so you do not have to stand on the seats. Once seated, it has a pivoting arm that can be folded back and becomes an armrest. Oh, it also is a double-cup holder.
080406g.JPG

I will post a few more pics later today so you can see how cool it is.

Perfect

Even better than a rear hinged armrest since you get a cup holder AND a entryway step.

I'll contact him, thanks!!!

Bret,

That thing is cook but will not work on my -9 as I have the manual aileron trim, which is located right where that thing folds to.

This was my idea.

FP03032008A00019.jpg

FP03032008A00014.jpg

It is reinforced so it can be stepped on and it also has room to store stuff. It screws down so it is removable during construction. Just a few more nut plates!!!!

The other system is pretty cool.

A center armrest makes it much easier to exit the cabin.

-Ron

Last edited: