RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
Is there anyone out there in RV-land that is using the Flymore pitot and can send me or post a close-up picture of it?

I am considering it, but the picture on Jon's website and Aircraft Spruce are small, and I would like to get a closer look.

If you do have it (the pitot), were you pleased with the quality of it's construction?

Thanks!

RV7Factory said:
Is there anyone out there in RV-land that is using the Flymore pitot and can send me or post a close-up picture of it?

I am considering it, but the picture on Jon's website and Aircraft Spruce are small, and I would like to get a closer look.

If you do have it (the pitot), were you pleased with the quality of it's construction?

Thanks!

I assume you're talking about the heated pitot. I bought one a year or so back. I don't know if they've improved since then but the design and construction on mine was so poor I had to rip it apart and reconstruct it. And absolutely no documentation...not even a slip to advise what amps it drew...nothing. A very amateurish and disappointing product in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to order one in a couple of weeks. I think Jack Holland has one on his -7. They look really nice -- kind of like the old Gretz tubes (before their new style), but slightly different. I think the Gretz tube was a bit longer, but I am not sure on that one. I think you do have to drill and tap it to fit your specific mount, but that isn't a big deal in my book.

robjohnson said:
I think you do have to drill and tap it to fit your specific mount, but that isn't a big deal in my book.

Yes it is.

It's quite a difficult and time consuming job. If you don't get the drill in exactly the right locations you risk breaking out laterally through the pitot's internal walls. There is VERY little margin for error and if you stuff it you'll be throwing it away.

The problem is exacerbated due to the fact that the curved surfaces of the pitot make it a very difficult shape to mechanically hold and set up for a drill press (forget about trying to do it with a hand drill). It's a difficult shape to hold and an easy object to damage.

When I bought my Johanson pitot I was told that it was a perfect fit for the Gretz bracket....wrong again. In the end I had to modify the gretz bracket as well and have it replated (very annoying). Maybe the design of the Johanson pitot has changed since I bought mine...but I wouldn't bank on it.

Did I mention that I had to remachine the inside of the pitot because the power wires went around a 90 degree bend that was razor sharp. Oh, and did I mention that the pitot did not come with a power supply terminal block like virtually every other heated pitot on the market. And did I mention that the power supply pigtail that WAS supplied was far too short for any practical purpose and required a crimped splice extension.

Maybe you catch my drift.