RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have installed me wheels without the pant bracket, they are fit and cut so as not to interfere with the brakes, but I took the off after fitting. I just used shorter bolts. Two reasons; I have months of work to do and did not want to bang or bend them. I also thought since I would fly initially without the pants why not leave off the bracket.

I am wondering if there are any flaws in my logic? Good idea or bad? Someone thought I might want the extra drag while breaking in the engine.

Cheers

I you take them off ... they won't break like some have had happen.

If ya have the need for speed ... ya won't want to be flyin around without your pants on though...

Good Choice

Without a wheel fairing to "protect" them, the aluminum brackets can vibrate or resonate, leading to fatigue cracking. I had to replace mine by the time I got around to finishing the pants.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

There's enough drag.

Mike, don't be concerned about adding drag to break in the engine...the airplane provides plenty, with or without wheelpants.

Many RV's have broken in their engines with all the fairings and pants installed, as was my -10 with a new Aerosport engine.

Best,

I'm working on all the pants/fairings now even though I haven't had first flight yet. It gives me time to raise money for the sales tax I need to raise but also gives me benefit of not needing to do weight/balance twice and also eliminates -- somewhat, anyway -- the problem of flying too long w/o wheel pants b/c I haven't gotten around to working on them.