burgundyja

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever tried removing the canopy? Are there any wierd issues? What speeds did you get? I have a 8a. I am thinking of a jumper out of my aircraft. Maybe toilet. Paper drop.

Personally, I wouldn't advise it. You will be a "test pilot" for sure.

On consideration about jumping from the airplane in flight, check your operating limitations. Paragraph (20) should state: "This aircraft must not be used for glider towing, banner towing, or intentional parachute jumping."

been done

There's a picture floating around of a guy in TX that did it on a straight -8. I have no idea if he kept it slow or how it handled.

On consideration about jumping from the airplane in flight, check your operating limitations. Paragraph (20) should state: "This aircraft must not be used for glider towing, banner towing, or intentional parachute jumping."

Is there a digital copy of this operating limitations?

As you can see in the link attached, it's been done on the -8. Joe Waltz in Conroe (pictured). Said it flew fine. Ok for the guy in front. Very windy in back. Been posted here before, somewhere.

Mike Melvill decided to take a spin in his Long EZ while the canopy was off and he was building a rollover structure.
Said later "never again"......

I know someone who flew an rv-4 with no canopy. He kept the speeds low and had no problems, except it was loud and windy. He's probably reading this so maybe he will tell the story.