dyarbrough

I'm New Here
Has anyone out there figured a way to safely fly with the canopy open a few inches? That rv-8 gets pretty hot in the summer.

No, I don't believe so. On my next one, I'd install 2-3 times the conventional "vent" ventillation. Either more of the NACA vents or something similar.

IMHO, the -8 canopy frame isn't strong enough to withstand the possible aero loads. Not to mention the rail attachments are way too flimsy.

Look for other air sources or redesign the entire canopy frame and support system.

2 cents

A gentleman that built an early RV4 designed a sliding canopy for his airplane that Van's RV8 canopy is almost an exact copy of. He is a good friend and I have a nice 8 x 10 picture of him in flight with his canopy open about 6 to 12 inches. Too many people on this forum will tell you, you can't or shouldn't do this or that. It can be done. The guy's name is Ray Otte, he wasn't afraid of the unknown!

I still think a big improvement could be achieved by shielding the top portion of the bubble. The clear stuff that is on the canopy when we get it is called Spraylat and is available is opaque colors. I think that a person could remove the canopy, mask all but the upper most portion and spray the stuff on the inside.

There was a story in the RVator back in the early days of RV-8s that a guy took his canopy off and had some kind of turtle deck installed in its place. I had already been thinking along the lines of a second canopy frame that I would glass over with a headrest. I never heard how the other guy liked his and never got around to trying it on mine.

Food for thought...

Karl

Like P-51

My late boss had a P-51 and they were landed with the canopy partially open. The driving/opening mechanism was a geared crank that had a chain or something similar that pulled the canopy open and closed. The big difference between the -8's system and the-51 is that it has to raise in the rear before it slides. If you could design a straight rail with a crank, it would be much more feasible.
Regards,
Pierre

pierre smith said:
My late boss had a P-51 and they were landed with the canopy partially open. The driving/opening mechanism was a geared crank that had a chain or something similar that pulled the canopy open and closed. The big difference between the -8's system and the-51 is that it has to raise in the rear before it slides. If you could design a straight rail with a crank, it would be much more feasible.
Regards,
Pierre
Also, as it raises in the rear, it disengages a pin. Once the pin is disengaged, all that holds the back on is a piece of ~2" x 1" slotted plastic block. This and the fact that the ~5/8" plastic rollers in the front make the canopy completely unsuited for flying open as it's configured. Redesign or risk loosing the canopy and taking off the vertical stab.

As Pierre mentioned, the crank idea would be good (with a stronger frame and attachment). I've thought about something like that, just for convenience on the ground - and to keep it from getting loose and slamming back to the stops.

Last edited:
vents

is the general concensus then that the plane does not get sufficient ventilation with the standard single air inlet?

grover said:
is the general concensus then that the plane does not get sufficient ventilation with the standard single air inlet?

Actually, I think that in flight, the standard vents are "adequate" - I have always gotten sufficient flow once I am up and away - it is not always cold airflow until I've climbed to 10,000' in the summer (I live in Houston after all!), but the flow is good.

On the ground however....you'll want to have the canopy open until just before take-off, and pop it as soon as you slow down to taxi speed. You can really tell how the airflow drops off at approach speed!

Just my experience, of course,

Paul

Open canopy flight

I have a couple of hours in a T 34 with a sliding canopy. During flight, the air flow did not try to open the canopy more, it would close it. If the locking pin didn't not stay in the detent, the canopy would slam closed.

Jim

Standard vents are good.

I agree with Paul, the vents are sufficient once underway. Also, use a slide lock to hold the canopy open about 20 inches when on the ground. I operate in the hottest areas of Florida and find life in the 8 is good when there is a 200 mph breeze outside.

P51 crank

There was a plane for sale on here last summer or so that was beautifully done--at least in the pictures---and included a 51 style crank arrangement for the canopy. I have no recall on the exact details. The plane was white and purple or another dark color and from Massachusetts or somewhere thereabouts well north of the M-D line.