Rupester

Well Known Member
Can you fly with just the wheelpants and gear fairings installed, i.e. no intersection fairings? Normally the only thing that holds the lower end of the gear fairing in place is the intersection fairing. I have the hose clamp at the top cinched down very tight, and it seems the oncoming airstream should tend to keep the gear fairing in the aligned position (...I say "should". :) ) I suppose strong x-winds might want to twist the gear fairing, but those forces would be pretty minor compared to the straight-on airstream at cruise. Can I fly it with nothing holding the bottom of the leg fairing?

Fly your plane with no intersection fairing, gear leg fairing or wheel pants for the first few flights to see if the plane flies true if not fix what is required. Once it is flying true add the gear leg fairings and see if it still flies true then the wheel pants and intersection fairings. That way you will not have so many variables to wonder about. It could save you a whole lot,of work in the end.

She has already flown with just the nosegear fairings and flies straight and true. I simply don't want to go thru the main gear fairing alignment dance (i.e. chalk lines on the floor, strings, etc) if it's going to shift or move around when I fly w/o the lower intersection fairings.
The recommendation above implies that at least some have flown with the just the leg fairings in place and no wheelpants ...to test alignment. If so, did the top clamp hold it in place?

some have flown with the just the leg fairings in place and no wheelpants ...to test alignment. If so, did the top clamp hold it in place?

I have 50 hours on my 9A with only wheel fairings and leg fairings; neither upper or lower intersection fairings installed. The clamp held them in place just fine. Mark a line from the fairing onto the gear leg and top and bottom after setting the alignment, then you'll be able to get it back to the same spot if it does shift (or if/when you need to remove them for maintenance).

I did reinforce all the hose clamp tabs with an aluminum plate, and self-fusing tape around the leg to prevent abrasion. The installation is plenty sturdy.

I do want to finish the fairings...but it's too much fun to go fly instead...