tomhanaway

Well Known Member
What have you found to be indispensable tools for a traveling/flying tool kit?

Also, what did you use to store/carry the tools?

I've got an Rv-10 that usually just has two passengers so weight and space are not as much of an issue.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway
N518TP
40.15 hours (yippee-phase 1 done).

Variety of lightweight tools.
Goody bag with an assortment of screws, wire, terminal ends, a few lenghts of safety wire, nuts, bolts, washers, 2 brake puck gaskets
Of course, duct tape, weldon epoxy
glo-nights sicks, small led flashlight, mylar space blanket & a poncho

Not in my tool kit, but I also carry a bag with a couple bottles of water & propel, power bars, cliff bars...

Extra tube for tires, some sort of jacking mechanism for the airplane, and a pump to inflate the tube.

I also carry a couple spare spark plugs plus wrench. And when flying in remote areas, some survival equipment.

I got two Bison Bags that fit behind the seats in the RV-9, but your space in a 10 may be different size/shape.

Greg

I got two Bison Bags that fit behind the seats in the RV-9, but your space in a 10 may be different size/shape.

Greg

FYI, the Bison bags are correctly shaped for a 10, and there is room enough for 3 of them to fit across the baggage area, if you do not stuff them till they bulge.

CO2 4 air pump

I keep a spare tube but use the little Co2 cartriages and the little adapter from a motorcyle shop to air it up. Small and compact.

Oh, yeah, along with the spare fuel cap, also a spare fuel drain with (new) o-ring in place. Easy to change wet, though you might lose a cup of fuel.

Greg

Spark plug, plug socket, big vice grips, multi-tip screw driver, a few screws, safety wire, and a few odd fasteners. But above all else, i cary duct tape.

Duct tape can be used as a tube patch, a gas cap, a bandage, a faring, a handle, a low temp low pressure hose, a drinking cup, a water bottle, insulation, crack seal, ...

Last edited:
Duct tape can be used it as ...a gas cap...

I recently had some 100LL come in contact with some silver duct tape. It was a very gooey mess. I would be very, very wary of getting duct tape near 100LL, because that seems to me to be the best way to contaminate the 100LL.

Band-aids...sure. Gas caps, maybe not.

Suggestion

I built my tool kit during an annual one year. I used the tool kit to take off every important part of the plane or at least one of the fasteners to prove that I could do it in a pinch. In some cases, the tool in my onboard kit is not ideal, but it is compact and will work. For example, I have stubby ratchet that will work to turn the spark plug socket, but a full size is easier. I'm also not about to remove every screw on the plane with my compact screwdriver, but it will work if I HAD to.

Jon - I would not say duct tape is idea for every use, but it can fill many uses in pinch. Your experience of 100LL is good to remember. if I ever need to use tape for a fuel cap, I'll grap the plastic sandwich baggy too :)

BTW - a step up from duct tape is gaffer's tape (which is what is in my airplane at the moment).