Ron Lee

Well Known Member
I was doing a bit of research on this and the range and period over water is doable (having flown to North Eleuthera in the Bahamas). But it appears that you have to file IFR to fly over Cuba. Is that correct?

Not necessarily, but confirm.

I've flown there three times, all were IFR flight plans. You will have to have an international flight plan filed along with a pre-approved passage number. This can be obtained from an office in the Miami airport or from the FBO at Grand Cayman. Be sure you do this well ahead as you will have to give them a passenger and crew list. Hope your "N" number has never been spotted dropping leaflets or you'll go the long way. Also check AOPA for regulations.

I left Ft Pierce, Fl to Marathon and straight over Cuba (Giron corridor). They speak English well, just do not speak Spanish unless you are very fluent. It comes back fast.

Fun trip, longest stretch not more than 45 minutes(over open water) in the Bonanza or Baron. About the same for the RV.

David

I just read a forum on Aopa.org and it seems that an instrument flight plan is required. I suppose I can find another challenge.

May be caused by 911

I have not made the trip since then. An alternative is the Cayman Caravan. Here is an organized trip which used to go down in mid June, leaving from
Key West. All paper work is done for you, including flight plans. I made my first trip with them. Thought for sure some VFR flight plans were involved, but things change (Including my memory).

David
p.s. If you wait awhile you can probably just go to Cuba, not as far and quite a bit less expensive.

I just read a forum on Aopa.org and it seems that an instrument flight plan is required. I suppose I can find another challenge.

You need an Instrument Flight Plan. As I understand it, you can be a VFR pilot operating in VFR conditions on an IFR flight plan. I have been told that there are RV VFR only pilots that have done this in the past.

Gary, that is interesting. I "assumed" that to file an instrument flight plan the plane and pilot had to be instrument rated/qualified.

I read the Cayman Caravan website and as of today they have no trips planned.

It would be neat to fly over Cuba to the Caymans. I don't need to stay that long. Maybe a dive or two. See Stingray City. Collect some sand samples then back to the USA.