SteveHRV7

I am planning on taking the RV to Osh for the first time this year. I live in Michigan and am considering flying along the lakefront past Chicago. Any thoughts or recommendations on this route?
Thanks!

Info

I flew direct across the lake several times north of Chicago and up and around the lake through their air. Flying through Chicago is great. They will try to route you way out into the lake. If you ask to hug the shore they will put you down at 1500 or 1000. Great experience hugging the shore way better than out in the lake. Enjoy the experience and scenery.

Steve,
There were some really nice photos of flying along the coast near Chicago a few days ago. I can't remember who posted them but it looked like fun.

I plan to go to OSH for the first time this year too. Im working at our project in East Lansing - just down the road from you. I would love to come see your plane.

Have fun!

I fly around the lake via the Chicago lakefront from Michigan every year, beautiful view, especially near sunrise. Already been that way to Oshkosh this spring.

I planned a trip from Atlanta up to oshkosh one year. It boils down to the same thing, either you've got to hug the shoreline of lake michigan or go way around to the west. Why don't you do this. Plan two trips. (You'll have fun) The ORD class B is 10000 ft, Plan a trip at either 11500 or 12500 as the case may be. If the weather is CAVU, fly the high altitudes. If on the other hand, the ceilings are say 5000 ft., plan a shore hugging route or a way out west route. Load them both in your GPS, and when the day comes, you're set for clear and a million or down low. ( If you "do" go above ORD's Class B, call approach anyway and just tell them what you're doing. They liked it when I did this.)

There "are" a lot of very good intersections along the lake shore you can use and I highly recommend them. The down side is try to find them on a sectional or AOPA's flight planner sectional. I personally use Garmin Pilot, and they are very very easy to see and will make life much easier for you vs making a dozen personal waypoints. (Disclaimer-- I've got no personal interest in Garmin Pilot---I'm sure foreflight or other programs are just as good.)

I just looked on my Garmin 496. They show there too, BUT I had to go all the way down to the 3 mile scale before they would show. Just northwest of Gary IN, and east of Midway, there's orrin, niles, bebe, cabij for starters. You'll see. Just watch the bottom of the ORD Class B altitude restrictions, line up these shore hugging waypoints, and you'll be fine. Almost forgot--watch your Midway Class C altitude restrictions also, but easy to see on your GPS.

Last edited:
We used the cursor on our 496 and just moved it to where we were legal under the Class B. You can then press 'Direct to' and the point of the cursor becomes the waypoint.

Best,

I have flown the shore line multiple times going to and from Osh. I just stayed under the class B and a couple miles off shore. No big deal and nice scenery. Just keep your eyes open for others doing the same thing.

Must Do it!

We did it last weekend and the views were great! We talked to approach and stayed at 2700 down the shore - they called lots of planes for us.

IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4324.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

Awesome scenery!
IMG_4329.JPG

Go to Skyvector.com, zoom in on Chicago, and click the button for "Chicago FLY" to see the VFR Flyway chart.

No need for a lot of GPS fixes, as the visual checkpoints are so obvious. The only legal requirement is Mode C. Call the Gary and Waukagen towers if you use their airspace. About the only gotcha is to note the short stretch of 2000 ft ceiling between the refinery and the Navy Pier, east of Midway. There will be Big Birds overhead.